UKC

Descent off Rannoch Wall / Crowberry Ridge (BEM, Glencoe)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Calski 25 Jul 2014
At the risk of being slammed, is there a regularly used abseil off once routes have been climbed on Rannoch Wall.

I'm hoping to get a couple of routes completed in a day, but would rather avoid the slog down Curved Ridge if possible.

If there is an abseil, does this affect / pass over any climbs and can it be done in a continuous 50m ab?

Thanks, C
Removed User 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Calski:

Not that I know of though it's a while since I've been there.

Scramble to the top of Crowberry Ridge, downclimb as much of Curved Ridge as you need. It doesn't take long. It's routine to do several routes on Rannoch Wall in a day this way, even if you are dead slow like me.
Calski 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Cool, thanks very much.

C
 Coel Hellier 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Calski:

Yes, you can abseil. There is a block near the top of January Jigsaw, and a block on a stance of Agag's Groove halfway down. There might be tat in place, but it's not guaranteed, so take some. A don't think that one 50-m ab would get down but 60-m ropes might, not sure.
 LakesWinter 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Coel Hellier:

60m does get you down on stretch. There's a small flake 10m up the wall that it's easy to jam the ropes on, as we found. Got them free ok but something to watch.
 Simon Caldwell 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Calski:

Personally I find that the descent of Curved Ridge adds to the experience rather than being a slog.
 DannyC 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Calski:

Don't underestimate how hard it is to pull the ropes off down from the ab block on Agag's. I ended up semi-prusicking all the way back up. It wasn't snagged: just a combination of stretch and drag.
Go for Curved Ridge - must nicer!
 alasdair19 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Calski:
with someone who knew where the down climbs were I once did 3 routes on Rannoch wall as u can. reverse crowberry at diffor so. I was so frightened after doing it once that we went up and then across and Down for the other two descents. 2 routes really shouldn't be a problem without abseiling. If your feeling short of time after 1. r face of n buttress has some superb pitchs at most grades.
Post edited at 17:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...