UKC

New washing machine...any recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kimono 26 Jul 2014

Am in the market for a new w-m but a bit overwhelmed by the choice out there!

Any one got any recommendations for a good deal on a reliable machine around the 200£ mark?

Thanks
Post edited at 16:17
 Sharp 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Kimono:

From what I hear they don't make reliable washing machines anymore, unless reliable=1-2 years use.

My old Servis front loader is approaching 20 years now, it's shit at washing and needs a lick of paint but it has a button to turn it on and a dial that you twist to what temperature and spin speed you want and a cycle lasts about 40 minutes. Hard to find one with any of those qualities now.
Simon Wells 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Kimono:

To be honest at £200 it will do two years, you may 'win' the washing machine lottery and get one that does better.

WHICH, can be a good resource, we brought a WHICH best by 4 years ago, Beko, for about £350, been in storage for 9 months so three years use really. Had a new bearing a month ago. Before that we had siemens ones as we could get them at trade, not as reliable as they would make you believe.

It seems to work out about £100 per year, Meillie at £1000 will do 10 years plus.

Brands are a bit of an illusion as some are produced from one factory then branded up......

Sorry not much help, best of luck!
 TMM 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Kimono:

Spent £180 on a LG machine 6 years ago. It has been used for an average of 5/6 washes a week (we have a holiday cottage and babies). We have abused it through overloading and it seem to have coped well.

I am now including the machine with the sale of the house as we move imminently.
 Paul Evans 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Kimono:

We have a bosch classix which is around 7 years old now and gets a LOT of use - at least 1-2 washes a day. I'm fairly handy DIY-wise and have done my own repairs which amount to -
1. Replacing the motor brushes.
2. Replacing the drain pump.
3. Replacing a water inlet valve.
Other than that lot, it's been fine. Bosch are more expensive but compared to the cheaper brands we had earlier I'd say worth the extra dosh.
Paul
Ken Lewis 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Kimono:
I agree with Simon Wells. Which?.

Last time we needed one, we signed up for a 30 day trial to the website, I think it cost £1.
Post edited at 16:07
 ByEek 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Kimono:

Maybe not quite in the £200 mark, but I would fully recommend buying from John Lewis. Their own brand are made by a reputable company (can't remember which though) and are pretty cheap. You can also price match on branded goods. They offer free delivery and a two year warranty as standard (ours came with a 5 year warranty!). Their staff are also the most knowledgeable people on white goods I know. Then you can treat yourself to a posh cuppa and cake afterwards!
 Babika 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Kimono:

Definitely go for one that has that 20 minute /30 minute express wash.
That saves lots of electricity and water when you only have lightly sweaty stuff.

Also look at the ratings AAA or whatever will save you money in the longer run.

I bought a Miele for around £800 as everyone says they are indestructible and ours goes every day, sometimes twice a day.

But I was happy with a cheap Indesit before that.

My choice was also swayed by supporting my local independent dealer rather than places with rubbish follow up service like the internet or some of the big chains.
OP Kimono 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Kimono:

Ok, some good advice there chaps.
Express wash definitely an option as i do think most washing machines can be a bit over the top for most people's needs.
Ill check out JL when I'm down in t'Smoke this weekend....free delivery is certainly appealing.

Oh yes, Which also a good idea.
 Oujmik 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Kimono:

Consensus seems to be that only Miele are actually substantially better made than any other brand. I couldn't stomach the cost though, so went with a Bosch from John Lewis. It's had some problems (not least of which was that it wasn't the model they sold me) but at least with JL and Bosch you can rely on good aftersales service.

JL gave me a partial refund as compensation for the inaccurate description and Bosch were very quick to send a knowledgeable technician with a good stock of parts to service it when it broke.
OP Kimono 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

The other option is....

....not actually buying one and paying the local laundrette to do it.
Especially as i don't have that much to wash...
 mbh 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Babika:

>I bought a Miele for around £800 as everyone says they are indestructible and ours goes every day, sometimes twice a day.

We also got a Miele for the same reason, and it has been going strong for nine years now.
 LastBoyScout 28 Jul 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> Maybe not quite in the £200 mark, but I would fully recommend buying from John Lewis. Their own brand are made by a reputable company (can't remember which though) and are pretty cheap. You can also price match on branded goods. They offer free delivery and a two year warranty as standard (ours came with a 5 year warranty!). Their staff are also the most knowledgeable people on white goods I know. Then you can treat yourself to a posh cuppa and cake afterwards!

JL are made by the same company that make AEG and Zanussi, I think.

My last w/m was JL and it worked fine for 7 years, including 1 year abuse by my tennant, who's partner runs a cleaning business and had a new baby.

Current w/m is also JL, different model, and has been going strong for 4 years.
In reply to Kimono:

I bought a second-hand machine in decent condition (judging by external and drum inner condition) when I moved into my house 12 years ago. I've had to replace the door switch once, and the drum spider (and drum surround front due to me running the machine with an obvious fault) last year. It's run about 1.5 times a week. It's a Hotpoint (English Electric) and I'd had prior experience of fixing a similar machine, which is why I went for it; I knew it was simple internally, and easy to get parts for.

It cost me £100, IIRC. The new door switch was about £8, and the spider £20.

Just saying that second hand is an option, if you can assess the condition.
 stp 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Kimono:

ISE are the best, they come with a 10 warranty and designed to last a lot longer than that. Cost a lot more than £200 I'm afraid (about £900) but probably cheaper in the long run if you can afford it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...