UKC

Another techy question for UKC, email recovery!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 26 Jul 2014
Yes, I come to you again with another none climbing related query.
I need to recover an email that was sent to me in September 2012, I did not save it, nor delete it, I just printed it off and then closed.
After a while unsaved emails drop off with gmail and so an email from so long ago has vanished from the account.
I have spent 2 hours trying to google the solution to this without success, can anyone help me?
 Hairy Pete 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Dominicandave:
A quick scan of google's deletion instructions suggests that they do not automatically delete emails after a period of time. Either, you did delete it, you moved it to an archive (in which case it should still be there), or you downloaded it to your computer which may have caused the email to be deleted from the google server. Do you still have the computer that you used in 2012?

0Unknown0 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Hairy Pete:
They definitely erase (or store)old mail as I only get one page of emails and far I only have emails from July until july 9th, and I certainly do not delete or store my emails. I think the info on the google is incorrect.
Post edited at 17:25
 Bob 26 Jul 2014

When I look at gmail on the server I still have emails going back to 2009 when I joined up. There's a "x to y of z" text at the top right of the page where "z" is the total number of your emails stored on Google's servers. Next to this are two links to move back and forth through the list.

At the bottom left there's text which in my case states: "0.4 GB (2%) of 15 GB used". Google won't delete anything until I get beyond that limit.
 lithos 26 Jul 2014

cant believe its bee deleted

look atb the top of your list does it say something like 1..50 of 3569 (number will vary ?)
thats what mine says its showing the first 50. Click that phrase (1 to 50 of 3569) and you should see some arrows to 'page' fwd and back through your emails

apologies if this is insulting - not meant to be
m0unt41n 26 Jul 2014

I opened up my Gmail in 2005, don't use it other than for Google Play over last 4 years. It still has the original welcome email from 2005 so anything not deleted should be there.
 Brass Nipples 27 Jul 2014

It can often just get archived. But just search via web interface and I'm sure it'll find it, if you didn't delete it.

Removed User 27 Jul 2014

Email the NSA and ask them to send you their copy of the email

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...