UKC

Zeebrugge to Bruges cycle route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 woppo 26 Jul 2014
Any link for a cycle route/ directions from the port to Bruges would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mick
stoker 27 Jul 2014
In reply to woppo:
depends what you want, it's less then an hour drive.
between bruges and dudzele, you can take a detour through the fields, on the righthandside of the bouwdewijn canal, then through dudzele and follow the path immediately next to the left hand side of the canal into zeebrugge. Or choose the right side, off road, difficult and bit dangerous.

you can also follow damse vaart from brugge to cafe 'siphon' (= crossing of 3 canals) and then follow the two other canals direction zeebrugge.

edit: apparently explained it the other way around, but it remains the same
strange to see someone asking questions about my home. PM me if you want more info
Post edited at 08:24
 Brass Nipples 27 Jul 2014
In reply to woppo:
Go via zuienkerk, straight across A9 and join steenkaai along river into Bruges for a quiet route.
Post edited at 14:25
OP woppo 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

Thanks a lot, very useful
Mick
 Owen Meany 27 Jul 2014
In reply to woppo:

Belgium has an utterly genius cycle route system, which basically involves following numbered routes. There are a very reasonably priced series of cycling maps which will allow you to find the numbers you need, then it's just a case of looking out for the little road signs as you cycle along.

The site below will help, but is just in Flemish:

http://www.fietsnet.be/routeplanner/default.aspx

Have fun - we had an awesome week there a couple of years ago - would love to head back!

OM
 mbh 27 Jul 2014
In reply to woppo:

We've just stayed in Ghent, twice, on our way to and from the Dolomites. We borrowed bikes from our Airbnb host each time and had a great time exploring the city, which is really lovely. It's dead flat, there are loads of cycle lanes and cyclists can go up most of the one way streets.

No-one has a helmet, lycra or high viz and most have crappy, rattly sit-up-and-beg type bikes. There are racks everywhere for bikes, including the residential neighbourhoods like the one where we stayed, where all the streets are terraced with no front gardens.

I loved it. It's my kind of cycling culture.

OP woppo 27 Jul 2014
In reply to woppo:

Thanks Owen, good site and with some research even got a list of numbers to create a route ( and lots of options)
Looking forward to visit and will add in a battlefield tour as my grandad was at paschendale looking after horses and supplies - he did survive but had a quiet life as a farmer for next 50 years!
Cheers
Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...