UKC

Skinny dipping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 27 Jul 2014
There's an absolutely moronic report on this on the BBC news website right now. Moronic, because it doesn't say what's supposed to be wrong with nude bathing, or under what circs you might be done for it, or distinguish between getting your kit off in the middle of Blackpool sands and in the middle of an empty Scottish glen, or anything really.

So since it's nice and hot, can anyone put us in the pickshah on this one please? If I rip my clothes off and jump in the sea in the buff then legally speaking how do I, err, stand?

Personally I often skinny-dip, e.g. when I'm passing a beautiful river pool or indeed beach in the middle of nowhere. But I don't do it when there's anyone else around. And of course I wouldn't bathe in the nude on Broughty Ferry beach on a Sunday afternoon. But in the mountains, on your own, of course you don't get any garments wet that you don't need to. Isn't that common sense?
 The Lemming 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Stephen Gough would agree most whole heartedly with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Gough
 top cat 27 Jul 2014

I guess it's all about location, same as outdoor sex. Use common sense.
 Rich K 27 Jul 2014

It's never made much sense to me that the Naked Bike Ride is ok whereas the naked rambler gets arrested.
 skog 27 Jul 2014

Where's the report?

This one? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28493469

Is the law, or the interpretation of it, the same in Northern Ireland as here?

Like you, I'll happily skinny-dip where there's no risk of exposing innocent bystanders to horror beyond the pale.

In these situations the law seems irrelevant anyway, due to the absence of anyone to enforce it.
 OwenM 27 Jul 2014

Surely it's only an offence if someone makes a complaint, if there's no one around to see you then there's no one to complain. Simple really, no need to get your knickers in a twist.
 Al Evans 27 Jul 2014
In reply to OwenM:

There was a docu on last year in which the fit female presenter went skinny dipping, I think it was in the Lakes and I think it was on BBC, anybody remember it?
 zebidee 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> There was a docu on last year in which the fit female presenter went skinny dipping, I think it was in the Lakes and I think it was on BBC, anybody remember it?

iPlayer link?

You know ... for research purposes.
 The New NickB 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Dr Alice Roberts!?!

Sorry to disappoint her many fans on here, but it was all done very discretely and tastefully.
 Captain Solo 27 Jul 2014
In reply to OwenM:

Simple really, no need to get your knickers in a twist.

Or your knickers wet for that matter.
Have enjoyed 2 or 3 skinny dips last week in some not so remote surroundings but away from prying eyes and sensitive dispositions.
Apologies to those who have been working hard indoors during this warm weather but I've only managed to climb til early afternoon and then its a beeline for the nearest beckoning pool.

spartacus 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Captain Solo:
I got thrown out of Watford swimming baths some years ago for peeing in the pool.

It would have been Ok but I was standing on the top board at the time.

I'll get my coat..........

Trangia 27 Jul 2014

Bill Tilman's "memorable bathes"

Apart from mountaineering and exploring they were the highlights of his life.
Tim Chappell 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Aztec Bar:

Are you Num Num in disguise?
Tim Chappell 27 Jul 2014
In reply to top cat:
> I guess it's all about location, same as outdoor sex.

I have friends who've Done It in the meadow in the middle of Addison's Walk, in the grounds of Magdalen College, Oxford. And to think that all I ever used to do there was punt, work out my next essay, and admire the fritillaries
Post edited at 13:02
 Kimono 27 Jul 2014
Had a skinny-dip in a loch only last week....lovely experience and no one around to offend.
Though it must be said that the water was so cold I think you would have needed strong binoculars to have been offended
 Flinticus 27 Jul 2014

What about topless walking? What are the rules? Yesterday I spent about 9 hours walking with my top off on the Cairngorms plateau. Only saw one person and I clocked them coming towards me with loads of time to get my top on
 Brass Nipples 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

> What about topless walking? What are the rules? Yesterday I spent about 9 hours walking with my top off on the Cairngorms plateau. Only saw one person and I clocked them coming towards me with loads of time to get my top on

Nothing wrong with topless walking at all.
 Al Evans 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

Supermarkets in Spain will not allow you to shop topless. Whatever sex.
 Billhook 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
Good!! There's nothing worse than some bloke, who thinks his sweaty body is comparable to some greek god, wandering around a supermarket - or indeed any other shop!!
Post edited at 18:37
 Niall 27 Jul 2014
In reply to skog:

> Where's the report?

> Is the law, or the interpretation of it, the same in Northern Ireland as here?

The interpretation seems to be that skinnydipping:

1. At the closest beach to the largest city in Northern Ireland

2. In the middle of the hottest week here this year

3. When all the schools are off

...is a pretty dumb move.
 tlm 27 Jul 2014

The british do seem to confuse nudityy with sex...

I've skinny dipped all over the place. One time, i was in oxford, there was no one around, so i thougt i would take a dip. However, the moment i entered the water, loads of people seemed to arrive from nowhere! Imhad to keep on swimming away from shore, until i ran out of river....

As to toplessness, hasn't it been banned at some climbing walls(calshot) for fear of damaging the children? Weird....
Tim Chappell 27 Jul 2014
In reply to tlm:
You do know about Parson's Pleasure, I assume? The quasi-official but strictly speaking illegal nude bathing spot in the Cherwell at the bottom of the University Parks?

Everyone knows this joke but here it is again anyway: two dons go nude bathing at Parson's Pleasure and are sunbathing afterwards, still nude, when a party of ladies pass on the other bank. Dr Smith, horrified, hurriedly casts his towel over his loins; Dr Jones, nonchalantly, casts his towel over his face.

SMITH: Jones! What are you thinking of?
JONES: Well, Smith, I imagine people would know *me* again by the shape of *my face*.

Badaboom tish. Genuine Victorian joke; almost funny
Post edited at 19:52
 tlm 27 Jul 2014

Why illegal? Yes, i have punted past many a time. There always seems to be someone stood proudly on the banks, hand on hips, thrusting forward towards the river and watching the ladies punt by.... It's funny cos on the land, there is a big painted sign on the fence, saying 'no ladies past this point' but there is nothing to warn you if you are on the river!
 Rip van Winkle 28 Jul 2014
In reply to tlm:

The Oxford tradition, now virtually defunct, is that ladies in punts leave the river at the rollers just before the Parks and rejoin their party higher up the river after walking past Parson's Pleasure on the opposite side of the stream where trees screen their modesty from visual assault.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...