UKC

Bouldering around Manhester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Stu126 27 Jul 2014

HI, I'm looking for some bouldering spots near Manchester that is easily accessible by bus or train as I don't have a car. Could anyone please let me know of anywhere.

Cheers
Post edited at 19:06
 Phil West 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Stu126:

Hobson Moor has short ups and long traverses above a very flat landing. Be careful for broken glass from the local scallies though. It's just outside Stalybridge/Mottram and is on a bus route with a walk in of around 3 mins from the main road.

Wimberry Boulders in the Chew Valley are easily reached by the 180 bus from Manchester. The bus terminates at Greenfield when you alight and walk around 25 minutes to the first boulders (Sugar Loaf).

Or get a train to the Peak from Piccadilly station and get off at Hathersage for a 40 minute walk up to Stanage edge or Grindleford for a 30 minuteish walk to Froggatt edge or a longer, but nice, walk to Burbage South boulders. I used to do this trip weekly for years. If you have a mountain bike too you can get some miles in with good descents and some good bouldering or solos.

HTH

Phil
saul 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Stu126:

Manchester - Hadfield on train and walk to Hobson Moor.
Manchester - New Mills on train- New Mills Tor.
Manchester - Hadfield on train walk to Tintwistle Knarr.

Not especially convenient but Work for me.
 Jon Stewart 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Stu126:

Shipley Glen!

A bit of an arse-ache as you have to change on the train at Leeds, and it is slightly 'urban' in atmosphere, but once you get passed the aesthetic inperfections, you'll find that the climbing as absolutely f^cking awesome.

Vim, a tremendously technical highball V3 arete (well OK it's blatantly V4 but you're in Yorkshire here), for example, is one of the finest climbs on the planet. I've climbed it scores of times, and it still delivers a brief but powerful rush of abject terror as the precarious barn-door stretch for the top hangs momentarily in the balance. The giddy euphoria that follows is way better than the mephedrone the Shipley kids will be snorting in the carpark at the top*.

*I exaggerate. I have never actually witnessed anyone snorting drugs at The Glen. Just drinking, and once a guy getting a bj.
Stu126 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Stu126:

Thanks for the response. Think I will check some of these out tomorrow and Tuesday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...