UKC

Idea for cams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JJL 27 Jul 2014
Cams are expensive.
Sadly, they also get stuck from time to time.

A pullable plastic tag that "reserves" the last few mm of range would mean that more placements were put in optimal range and leave the second a desperation toggle to get a stuck cam out.

I only want free sets for life when it gets implemented.
 paul mitchell 27 Jul 2014
In reply to JJL:

How about a clip on rand that fits into peg holes on the edge of each cam?That would give slightly larger cams.For those placements in the non existent 2.5,3.5 cam range.

If it is put on sale and you buy some,buy me a pint.

Mitch
 althesin 27 Jul 2014
In reply to JJL:

Sorry to be negative , but Spinal Tap had an idea like that +Skint climbers would have to go back to shoplifting for their protection.
 Blue Straggler 27 Jul 2014
In reply to JJL:

> I only want free sets for life when it gets implemented.

That would be "one free set" surely
 andrewmc 28 Jul 2014
In reply to JJL:

Go double axle
In reply to JJL:

I must say, ive never had to abandon a cam in any route.
needvert 28 Jul 2014
In reply to JJL:

Aside from in expanding features, do cams really get that irretrievably stuck that often?

I don't think the additional complication and cost are worth it for the benefit.
 jimjimjim 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Double Knee Bar:
Well aren't you just a living legend...
 Dave 88 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Yeah but it's a good idea for when I over-cam all yours when I'm in a blind panic!
In reply to jimjimjim:

Yes I am, glad you noticed.

Yeah the only time i've come close is when daves leading and shoves a size 2 into a 1" crack.
dwb 29 Jul 2014
In reply to jimjimjim:
Double Knee Bar obviously doesn't get out enough.I remember doing Centurion on the Ben about 5 years ago and there was hundreds of pounds worth of cams stuck in it then.
 mikeleahy 29 Jul 2014
In reply to dwb:

there's a size 4 in the chimney on the old man. i spent 20 minutes trying to get it out, gave up and when i got up to my belayer and told him he just laughed his tits off and said it was already there and he just used it as an extra. grrrrrrrrrrr

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...