UKC

NEW REVIEW: Roca Verde Climbing Guide Review

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 28 Jul 2014
Roca Verde Cover, 4 kbRoca Verde is a brand new guide from Richie Patterson, encompassing Asturias, Cantebras and Leon in North-West Spain.

Niall Grimes takes a look at the new creation, but will he ever get that twenty quid out of Richie?

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6498
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Jul 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Looks great. The crag in the topo looks mighty tough, any destinations in the book for 'guffers'?

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Chris, yes there´s plenty...Quirós for example, one of the best crags in the book has over 15 sectors, and 270 routes 170 of which are under 6c+ and there are 60 below 6a.
There´s a great mix of climbing, grades and route types. I´ll see if they´ll stick up another topo later for me...
In reply to Richie Patterson & Chris Craggs:

Hi both, have put in another topo for Quiros as Richie requested.

Duncan
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Duncan Campbell - UKC:

Cheers guys.

We briefly visited the area years ago and, despite climbing a lot better than nowadays, I recall stiff grades and struggling to find enough to do. Having said that we didn't have an up-to-date guidebook,

Chris
 Ben1983 01 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

I went to Quiros a few years back after bailing from El Naranjo. It was a bit of an education as Chris implies, but the climbing is great, and there is a nice mix of grades. I'm assuming the guidebook contains some info on camping? We never found a campsite there, and the only flat bit of ground we managed to locate was under a tree high on the hillside; the locals didn't seem to mind, so long as you were prepared to admit that UK cider isn't a patch on theirs... Super friendly place, and well worth a visit.
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Chris, I must admit i think the grades are fine, they're not holiday grades though - this isn't Kalymnos!!!
And as for enough to do, the point of the guide was to show what there is now. Quiros hasn't changed tons, but as I said there are 270 routes there, but Teverga (a ten minute drive) has over 400 routes and keeps growing The area is amazing...
 TimmyG 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Richie Patterson:

Just wondering how much overlap there is with the sport climbing in the Miguel Adrados guide; are there new areas?
In reply to vegemite:

Yes, there are a ton of new areas...I would guess probably 1200-1500 routes difference between the two...
My guide has the Desfiladero de La Hermida which isn't available anywhere else and the latest crags in Leon and well as classic such as Poo de Cabrales which don't appear in Adrados.
It's also a lot easier to follow and has routes lengths.
I think if you want a sport climbing trip you will be much much better served.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 01 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

I'll add it to the ever increasing list of places to visit. Congrats on the new guide!
 Elaine Owen 03 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Mike and I are here now. Hats off to Richie. The guide is fantastic. Apparently it took Richie 2 and a half years to complete. The guide is very detailed, accurate and grades aren't easy. Our only problem is the weather, which is out of our control! It is absolutely beautiful here, infact it is like North Wales on a much bigger scale
In reply to James Rushforth:

Thanks James!! Mail me if you make it out...
In reply to Elaine Owen:

Thanks for the kind words Elaine and glad the guide passes muster!! We may be coming to La Hermida on Wednesday so I will keep in touch...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...