UKC

Why I hate shopping at Lidl.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 28 Jul 2014
They don't have baskets, you have to have a trolly, presumably they think you will get lulled into buying more if you have a trolly (plus you need a euro in change to get the trolly in the first place).
I will always shop at Masymas or another Spanish chain supermarket rather than Lidl. If I do have to go to Lidl (it stays open later) I will take a shopping bag, put stuff in that and empty it out at the till.
This is not just Spanish Lidl do this, they also did it when I lived in Morden. I asked why when I lived there and was told it was 'company policy'.
I think this is a cynical and coniving way to get you to spend more than you need or want to.
Particularly annoying as I live alone and on the third floor so a huge amount of shopping at any one go is not on, I generally know just what I want and it never fills more than a basket.
 Jackwd 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

First world problems.
 Sir Chasm 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans: So if you know just what you want why can't you put it in a trolley? Are you so feeble minded that you have to buy more if you use a trolley? Or are you altruistically concerned for those with less self-control?

OP Al Evans 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

I think it's a dodgy trick to get gullible people to buy more than they need, plus who wants to push a bloody great trolly round always assuming you happen to have the one euro piece to get one. Baskets are so much more convenient.
 TMM 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

The f*ckers! This stuff makes me reach for my keyboard every time.

Keep fighting 'the man' Al.

I have recently boycotted BP & Esso after the arsewipes insisted on my putting fuel into the car and NOT my 'bag for life' hessian shopping bag. These cynical c*nts KNOW that the fuel tank on my car is bigger than the shopping bag.
 Blue Straggler 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Aldi didn't have baskets two years ago. Now they do. Lidl will follow suit.

ALL supermarkets use "cynical and conniving ways to get you to spend more than you need or want to".
 ebygomm 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
Lidl and Aldi both introduced baskets a couple of years ago round here.

They both put security tags on them too.
Post edited at 11:47
 Neil Williams 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I went into Lidl last week, there were baskets and I used one. I think they've changed that.

What that does do, though, is slow down their system. As was you had to use a trolley as you'd unload it, move it to the other end then put your stuff into it, and go away to pack your bags, thus making more efficient use of till staff. Baskets discourage this by having the basket pile at the start of the conveyor.

Neil
 Arms Cliff 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Shop implicated in 'trying to get you to spend more money' shocker!
 skog 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Our Lidl has baskets, as well as the normal trolleys.

It also has mini-trolleys, for those who can accept being lured into buying just a little more than fits in a basket - allowing us to avoid the full-size trolley-filling temptation which has destroyed so many lives.

The fiends still keep selling me those roasted salted almonds, though. I can't stop. I'm a broken man.
 Bob Hughes 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

It's probably got more to do with a job lot of trolleys being cheaper to buy and maintain than a job lot of baskets and a job lot of trolleys.

The Lidl near me in Madrid has baskets but that's because we are urbane sophisticates.
 Postmanpat 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

There are never enough check outs so you end up queuing twenty minutes to pay for a loaf of bread and carton of milk. So I don't.
I assume both that and the basket thing are aimed at deterring buyers of only one or two items. Lidl wants the weekly shoppers.

The security at the one near a Reading makes you feel like a criminal for being there.
OP Al Evans 28 Jul 2014
In reply to skog:

Good to hear the UK Lidls are introducing baskets, hope the Spanish ones follow soon as it is my nearest supermarket.
In reply to Postmanpat:

No, the queues and reduced numbers of checkouts aren't to discourage anything. It's part of the business model to keep costs down.

Essentially, compared with Tesco etc, you put up with:-
- limited range, only one of each product type
- limited non-food range (but often good stuff!)
- no credit card acceptance
- smaller shop (this can be a benefit!)
- longer queues
- a willingness to "play the game" and be quick and efficient yourself at the checkout

...in order to get a lower price.

If you want Tesco service, or even Waitrose service, shop at one of those and pay for the cost of that service in the prices.

It's not a conspiracy, it's a deliberately downmarket, and therefore cheap, business model.

Neil
 Postmanpat 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

> No, the queues and reduced numbers of checkouts aren't to discourage anything. It's part of the business model to keep costs down.

Yes, that was my inference. Small scale customers cost more to service than they generate in revenues so discourage them, or still least don't bother to service them

> It's not a conspiracy, it's a deliberately downmarket, and therefore cheap, business model.
>
I wasn't suggesting it was a "conspiracy", just a business model.
 Rob Exile Ward 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Yes, that's another major issue in the modern world that looks like it will be satisfactorily resolved.

Phew.
 ByEek 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I built our extension using Lidl own-brand Weetabix. Excellent building and insulating material if ever there were such a thing!
 Andy Say 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Lidl do have baskets in the UK.
In reply to Postmanpat:

I bought a few items in Lidl the other day. I didn't feel unserviced - indeed, I found it quite a practical way to do so because the slightly long queues were offset by the fact that you don't have to walk around a store the size of a football pitch to find a box of cornflakes and a bottle of milk.

Neil
 timjones 28 Jul 2014

> I bought a few items in Lidl the other day. I didn't feel unserviced - indeed, I found it quite a practical way to do so because the slightly long queues were offset by the fact that you don't have to walk around a store the size of a football pitch to find a box of cornflakes and a bottle of milk.

> Neil

In our neck of the woods both Aldi and Lidl almost always have far shorter queues than any of the other supermarkets. The staff work ahrd and are expected to jump onto a till if a queue ever gets too long.
In reply to timjones:

The Tesco Express stores near me have longer queues than the German supermarkets, but there are self checkouts which most people seem unwilling to use so I can usually just walk straight up to one.

It's the same as ticket machines at the station.

Neil
 ThunderCat 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> I think it's a dodgy trick to get gullible people to buy more than they need,
>Particularly annoying as I live alone and on the third floor

Quite brave to admit to being gullible
 doz generale 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

My local Lidl has baskets and they hand out plastic tokens for the trollys for when you dont have a pound coin.
In reply to ThunderCat:

Did you know they'd taken the word "gullible" out of the Oxford English Dictionary?

Neil
Tim Chappell 28 Jul 2014

Let nobody tell you that UKC has got dull.
 ThunderCat 28 Jul 2014

> Did you know they'd taken the word "gullible" out of the Oxford English Dictionary?

<checks dictionary>

rallymania 28 Jul 2014

have they?
 rallymania 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

it's OK Tim, Al lives in Spain so it's not really UKC
 Bulls Crack 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I just pay one of the numerous plebs to carry my stuff to the till and car
 malk 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

the general quality/value/service outweighs your nitpicking..
eg i went into booths the other day an the old dear at the till was taking an order of magnitude more time to scan things than lidl (seemingly manually typing in every other item).
abseil 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> I just pay one of the numerous plebs to carry my stuff to the till and car

What?!?! I just have my butler drive to Harrods Food Hall and fill up the Rolls twice a week. It's a lot easier, I recommend it.
Ste Brom 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Spare a thought for the geordies. They think Aldi is a 24hr supermarket.
abseil 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

> Spare a thought for the geordies. They think Aldi is a 24hr supermarket.

I stared at your post, puzzled, for about 8 minutes before I got it... I am so thick.

Good one anyway!
 steve taylor 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Lidl in Mallorca have those little pull-around baskets. Ideal for when you just pop-in with the wife for a couple of things and end up with tennis elbow from all the other things you REALLY need that end up in the basket
OP Al Evans 28 Jul 2014
In reply to steve taylor:

Yes Masymas has those on the costa Blanca, ideal. Incidently I never said Lidl gives bad service, the tills are efficient and well managed, no huge queues, it's just the no bloody alternative to a full size trolley even if all you want is a pint of milk. If I want as little as that I just take it up to the till in my 'bare' hands, it's the just enough ti fill a shopping bag amounts that piss me off.
And all you cretins trying to get one over on me by making out I'm going on about something worse than the national debt, you can shut up, I'm entitled to complain about the lack of baskets and that's all I'm doing.
If you don't think it's worth making a point, just ignore the thread.
 Dauphin 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Why not take your own bag or basket? Old skool.

D
 Babika 28 Jul 2014

it's a deliberately downmarket, and therefore cheap, business model.

> Neil

No. Its not downmarket. You are confusing efficiency with cheapness in a pejorative sense.

Its rational, environmental and savvy shoppers just carry their own bag/basket around the store if they want 6 things.
 TMM 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Yo trabajo en Lidl y me gustaría quejarme de nuestros clientes.
Tratamos de hacer la vida más fácil, proporcionándoles los tranvías, pero algunos de ellos simplemente no entendemos.
Recuerdo que en los viejos tiempos cuando solía filmar todos los grandes supermercados nunca hubo este problema y había una verdadera comunidad. Recuerdo el primer guión carro en Málaga con gran Al Sainsbury y Waitrose Frankie, Al murmuró algo sobre los extranjeros con sangre, fumaba 20 cigarrillos y salió como una rata hasta un desagüe.
En estos días sólo desearía que todos compramos en Masymas.
 JJL 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> Yes Masymas has those on the costa Blanca, ideal. Incidently I never said Lidl gives bad service, the tills are efficient and well managed, no huge queues, it's just the no bloody alternative to a full size trolley even if all you want is a pint of milk. If I want as little as that I just take it up to the till in my 'bare' hands, it's the just enough ti fill a shopping bag amounts that piss me off.

> And all you cretins trying to get one over on me by making out I'm going on about something worse than the national debt, you can shut up, I'm entitled to complain about the lack of baskets and that's all I'm doing.

> If you don't think it's worth making a point, just ignore the thread.

Hahahahahahahhahahahahahaha
Hilarious thread.
In reply to timjones:

> In our neck of the woods both Aldi and Lidl almost always have far shorter queues than any of the other supermarkets. The staff work ahrd and are expected to jump onto a till if a queue ever gets too long.

And they're the only shops where I've had people let me jump the queue when I've only got a couple of items; happened on a number of occasions, and never once in 'the majors'.

The dynamic till staffing works well, IME.
In reply to captain paranoia:

Is it almost the modern-day version of "you meet nicer people in the smoking carriage"?

Neil
 Skol 28 Jul 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:
Yeah. The customers are more friendly as are the staff. I've noticed quite a few 'rich' people going there recently. Either austerity is biting deeper, or they prefer the budget supermarkets.
The majors are generally full of rude people in too much of a rush, and the staff are something else .
Post edited at 19:10
 mbh 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

All successful businesses, and certainly all successful shops and supermarkets are surely doing their damnedest to get to you to spend as much money with them as possible. They may have different ways of going about this, but that must be their aim.

I cycle to my Lidls and take my bike basket round with me as my shopping basket.

I used to think Lidls was soul destroying, but they all are really, however shiney, they're just emporiums designed to get you to part with your cash. So the one that is small, cheap, has good stuff and is next door gets my vote. Costcutters etc meets two of those criteria, but is not cheap and has crap stuff, so doesn't.

Lidls is closer, the stuff is cheaper and just as good, and the checkout staff are dead fast, so I go there.

Many people must be coming to the same conclusion. That is why the Aldi/Lidl market share is doubling.
 digby 28 Jul 2014

> Baskets discourage this by having the basket pile at the start of the conveyor.

I'm always puzzled by this. In Lidl people unload their baskets at the very start of the conveyor leaving a huge gap to the shopper who is at the till. You don't seem to get this gap in other supermarkets. Why?
In reply to Al Evans:

Because of the f@cking war!

I only go in to do a John Cleese impression, and be chased out by the staff.

In reply to digby:

Possibly because the longer queue means it'd be hassle going back to the basket pile?

Solution to both issues might be that, like with a trolley, you are expected to re-pack your basket and move away from the till to pack your shopping into bags or whatever. This could be done by putting a "place basket here" marking on the shelf beyond the till where you'd normally pull a trolley up to to fill it.

Neil
 mwr72 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Good job they have trolleys Al, I can never go down the middle aisle and not fill a trolly!
 aln 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Since my thread about love I've tried hard to only post positively.
But this OP has to be one of the most inanely sad and pathetic I've read in a long time.
 digby 28 Jul 2014

They won't allow baskets beyond the till!
In reply to digby:

So they won't actually let you move your stuff away to pack it? Madness.

Neil
 digby 28 Jul 2014

Well I've never seen baskets beyond the till in any other supermarket for that matter.

What's the matter with you aln? This is important stuff.
In reply to digby:

Most supermarkets work on the basis that the tills will move quite slowly, as you pack your shopping into bags at the till, so there are quite a lot of them and the staff get a rest while you're finishing packing. Aldi, Lidl etc have a different model in that you're intended to take your stuff away from the till and pack it at the shelf at the end, in order that you can save money by greater throughput at the till. But not, it seems, with baskets.

Neil
 aln 29 Jul 2014
In reply to digby:

>
> What's the matter with you aln? This is important stuff.

Sorry. I suppose now Al's sorted out the crisis in the Middle East and put us all right on retro bolting he had to find a new focus. Is there a Lidl in the Peak's?
 Lurking Dave 29 Jul 2014
In reply to All:

What is needed is some sort of interconnected computer network that allows consumers to select their purchases in an "on-line" environment. The shop can then pick, pack and deliver the goods to the consumers door.

Hmmm, revolutionary. And would stop the ridiculous whining about trolleys vs baskets.

Cheers
LD
In reply to Ste Brom:

> Spare a thought for the geordies. They think Aldi is a 24hr supermarket.

Nope, still dont get it. I must be thick as stew?
 Neil Williams 29 Jul 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

ALDI and all night?

Neil
OP Al Evans 29 Jul 2014
In reply to aln:

> Since my thread about love I've tried hard to only post positively.

> But this OP has to be one of the most inanely sad and pathetic I've read in a long time.

Why read it then, even more weird, why answer it?
 Andy Farnell 29 Jul 2014
In reply to aln:

> Sorry. I suppose now Al's sorted out the crisis in the Middle East and put us all right on retro bolting he had to find a new focus. Is there a Lidl in the Peak's?

No one has bitten on the obvious error in that sentence. Yet &#128521;

Andy F
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Its those Jedi mind tricks again!
In reply to andy farnell:
>>Sorry. I suppose now Al's sorted out the crisis in the Middle East and put us all right on retro bolting he had to find a new focus. Is there a Lidl in the Peak's?

> No one has bitten on the obvious error in that sentence. Yet &#128521;

> Andy F

There's no crisis in the Middle East? I am right, aren't I?
 aln 29 Jul 2014
In reply to andy farnell:

> No one has bitten on the deliberate error in that sentence. Yet &#128521;

> Andy F

FTFY
OP Al Evans 29 Jul 2014
In reply to aln:

You've now posted on this thread twice
Lusk 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

They have baskets at Lidl in Ballina, Co Mayo, but I needed a trolley for all the Guinness on offer.
In reply to Jackwd:
I struggle to believe your gripe is ofor real, but just in case it is, here goes....

Agree with Jackwd...first world problems. Some people are never satisfied. FFS you are not forced to put a trolleyfull in your trolley.

And anyway a trolleyfull at Lidl costs less than a basket at Tesco/Sainsbury/Morrison, so I'm unsure what you gripe is here.
Post edited at 21:15
 Ffion Blethyn 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I love shopping there:

Lots of brands I've never heard of and can't pronounce and no-one speaks English; it's like being on holiday!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...