UKC

Powerline wifi adapters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 28 Jul 2014
Quick question - do they need to be on the same ring main?

I'm just setting one up. The one hard wired from my router is plugged into the wall next to the PC in the lounge.
The wifi adapter is plugged in in the hall.
The hall sockets and the lounge are seperate rings but they do go back to the same consumer unit, just back to different breakers.

I'm getting conflicting advice from tinterweb.

Cheers,

E
 ericinbristol 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

No. They work better if the are but work even if they are not
Eric
 Bob 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

They just need to be on the same consumer unit, perhaps more correctly on the same side of the electricity meter.

The ones I've got (Devolo) have to be the same speed, i.e. you can't mix and match speeds. This may have changed in the 18 months or so since I got ours.
OP Enty 28 Jul 2014
In reply to ericinbristol and Bob:

Still can't get the bloody thing working!

The wifi light on the adapter is just flashing and it should be solid.

E

ericinbristol 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

It took three hours on the phone to somewhere in the US (they called me) to get my Powerline AV200s to work. Bad that it took three hours. Good that they stuck with it!

Good luck
 Firestarter 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

What model/make have you got? Mine are ' On Networks' bought from PC World, and the instructions for them state they have to be on same ring main.
 john arran 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

I presume you're using these in France where ring mains don't exist!
We have a couple of them in permanent use here and it matters not which circuit they're on but it is crucial that they're on the same phase. So if you have a 3-phase supply that could be your problem.
OP Enty 29 Jul 2014
In reply to john arran:

> I presume you're using these in France where ring mains don't exist!

> We have a couple of them in permanent use here and it matters not which circuit they're on but it is crucial that they're on the same phase. So if you have a 3-phase supply that could be your problem.

Cheers. If I put both on the same circuit I still have the same problem.

The two devices are talking to eachother but it's coming up with an authentication issue.

E
XXXX 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:
Try plugging them in next to each other first. It took me ages to get mine working as you need to press all sorts of buttons in the right combination to get them to talk and it was easier when they were close. Once they were linked I moved them.

In the end I had to do the process so many times after power cuts I hardwired it via the loft. Much better speeds now and worth the effort.
 The Lemming 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

Sorry for the blatant hijack, but can anybody recommend a good WiFi range extender to boost my router signal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...