UKC

Hidden Secrets In The Hills....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samandress 28 Jul 2014
Hidden Secrets In The Hills....

Having recently had a great weekend out in the peak district i was looking over my route on
google earth only to find that id walked past no less than 3 air crash sites without realising
ive also walked past ruins without knowing anything about them and missed god knows how many.

What i want to ask you all is how can i avoid missing out on all these cool hidden gems?
surley there should be somthing like an annotated map of major outdoors areas
highlighting stuff like crashes, ruins, stones, structures, points of intrests and the stories behind them.
you'd be lucky if an OS map has a little squigle to mark somthing out and no idea if its worth going after.

i defer to your wisdom ...
 Tom Valentine 29 Jul 2014
In reply to samandress:

Dark Peak Aircraft Wrecks. Wharncliffe Publishing. Vols 1 & 2. Been on sale since the early 80's.
 aln 29 Jul 2014
In reply to samandress:

Reading maps and books has always worked for me. But I suppose an app would make it easier.
 Ridge 29 Jul 2014
In reply to aln:

> Reading maps and books has always worked for me. But I suppose an app would make it easier.

Exactly. The problem with an app is that it makes the information available to all, not just those prepared to do a bit of research. I suspect that an app of air crashes in the Peak, for example, would result in any halfway portable wreckage being removed in short order.

To the Op: Once you've got a route in mind, try a Google earth flyover before you go?
 Tom Valentine 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Ridge:
The best bits went years ago
Post edited at 07:47
 Billhook 29 Jul 2014
In reply to samandress:

Theres no substitute for reading books unless you go out with someone who has a knowledge or interest in different things.
There are as Tom says book available for every bit of this country listing every crash site known and plenty not known since flight began. There are a few crash sites here in NY which still have bits to see!!, and there's a lake in Ireland where from the hill above you can see the whole tail fin of an american bomber. If you don't like reading then there are pa few we sites which list them too.

I used to go for walks to cover distance. I now go on walks to cover objects and things of interest! Its much more fun. For example thousands of people on the Cleveland Way and C to C pass by a wrecked trawler hard up against the cliffs here near Robin Hoods Bay. .99% never see it as it involves stepping off the path and looking over the cliff and you've got to know which bit of the cliff!! You certainly get to see more!
pasbury 29 Jul 2014
In reply to samandress:

The Modern Antiquarian website is good for archaeological remains and has an interactive map thingy.
OP samandress 29 Jul 2014
From samandress:

thanks for your feed back guys.

I wasn't specifically after air crashes but that's a good example of something that doesn't even appear on maps.

like some of you I used to walk for distance, I finished lands end to john o groats (1200m) this time last year.
the guide books I used for some sections were great and they were well informed and routed me past interesting sights.
maybe if they did such a book of things to see but not worrying about routes, after all we can all read a map, its what's not on the map that we might want to know.

certainly I will be flying over potential routes with google earth for future trips but its not a very efficient or reliable method.

The Modern Antiquarian thing does seem a step in the right direction.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...