UKC

New bike now built

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IMA 29 Jul 2014
Treated myself after finally finding a colour scheme interesting enough to gain my attention.

Anyway here it is, built my me with a little help from the LBS

https://flic.kr/p/ovGcgE

Weighs in at 7kg without the cages so 7.05kg is roughly the expected. I'll try make it sub 7 at some point
 andy 29 Jul 2014
In reply to IMA: nice - what are those wheels?

I found a crack in my Red Bull (Rose Bikes old brand) frame, so snapped up a Scott Foil Team Issue from Westbrook Cycles (£1400 including UDi2 gear set - which I'll probably sell if anyone wants to convert 11sp cable to electric). Then sent the old frame back to Rose, not expecting much as it's 2 1/2 years old - just heard today a new 850g X-Lite frame is on its way.
OP IMA 29 Jul 2014
In reply to andy:
Thanks, just Campag Zondas, would love some Bora 35's but that can be next summer as these are 1500g and do a sterling job.

Not a bad replacement, interesting to see how it compares to the Foil given the normal price differences.

Was tempted with the Foil from Westbrook, was a bargain and a half and I don't mind team colours, however I decided to go for a 2015 frame.

List should anyone care
Frame/Forks - 2015 S Works Tarmac, Size 52. 920g frame, forks weren't weighed after being cut
Bars: 42cm 3T Ergonova bars alloy (220g)
Stem: 100mm 3T stealth Arx Team (100g)
Seat post: 350mm S works Pave (200g)
Bar Tape: Fizik Black performance with the felt touch cos I'm like that
Brake Pads Kool Stop Dura 2
Wheels Campagnolo Zondas (1500g without skewers or tyres)
Tyres 25mm Schwalbe Ultremo zx
Saddle Fizik arione tri2 whilst I try and find a nicely priced romin to try (205g)

Groupset: 11spd Ultegra, compact for now as I'm off to the alps at the end of August. Will probably be changed for the new Campag stuff
Post edited at 16:05
 andy 29 Jul 2014
In reply to IMA:
I'm giving the Rose away! I have a deal with my local bike shop mechanic where he does all my fettling for nowt (on 4 bikes - so a couple of "back to the frame" swrvices a year, plus anything else I need), plus I get bar tape, brake blocks, cables etc free. A year or so ago i gave him my old groupset as "payment" - and as this is a "free" replacement I'm letting him have the frame, so should preserve the arrangement for another couple of years!

The Team Issue isn't as "wanabee pro" as I feared, as all the sponsors' logos are stickers that you add yourself - so basically it's a black, green and white version of the Foil Premium (mine's got Racing Zeros on rather than the deep section things they put on the stock Premium, but it's basically a 9 grand bike for under 2 1/2 grand).
 woolsack 29 Jul 2014
In reply to andy:

I said I'd never get electronic gears but at £1499 it's bloody tempting. Hoping that a 54cm frame is too small for me as the 56cm is out of stock
 andy 29 Jul 2014
In reply to woolsack:

It was £1399 when I got mine - they had another £100 off with a code.
OP IMA 29 Jul 2014
In reply to IMA:

Electric is gorgeous to use, but I can't afford 2k for Dura ace Di2 and the weight gain for the cost means that I would stay away from UDi2 apart from on the winter bike.

Small is good, longer stem more seat post
 JLS 29 Jul 2014
In reply to IMA:

Looks nice.

I'd love a new bike but given that my old best one is still shiny (that gives the game away) I can't really justify spending 2k to go at perhaps 17.5mph rather than 17mph.
 andy 29 Jul 2014
In reply to IMA:

> Electric is gorgeous to use, but I can't afford 2k for Dura ace Di2 and the weight gain for the cost means that I would stay away from UDi2 apart from on the winter bike.

> Small is good, longer stem more seat post

I already had DA Di2 from an impulse (read "late night/pissed") internet buy whilst on holiday a year ago. I'm quite pleased to have got through a fortnight of beer drinking and internet access without buying anything this year - last year it was 11sp DA Di2 and a pair of Racing Zeros.

I've put an Ultegra cassette on since though - can't justify £90 extra for about 10g.
In reply to IMA:

Zondas are bombproof and best bang for your buck as far as reasonably light wheels go. To shave another 100g of the wheels involves spending silly money. Had mine a couple of years, and they get some stick round the Lancashire lanes!
Removed User 29 Jul 2014
In reply to IMA:

That looks fantastic, love the colour scheme.
OP IMA 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks biped.

Andy agreed on Ultegra cassette, bought a DA group set when helping a friend build his bike up, just sold the cassette and had enough for 2 Ultegras and some beer!

The wheels will be an upgrade, probably next summer,maybe some Bora 35s or R-sys SLRs. See what happens next summer.

Put a friends enve wheels on and the bike looked good.. feel free to donate or some lightweights ;0

On a better note, rides like a dream for the 70km I've done, going to test it at the weekend. Probably removing a spacer or two as well. Bought an ass saver for it yesterday along with the new garmin sensors (no cable ties)
 woolsack 31 Jul 2014
In reply to IMA:

I think you need to sort your shed roof out and do a bit of weeding, less of this riding about!

Is that colour scheme yours or is that a standard-ish scheme they offer?
 Toby_W 31 Jul 2014
Looks amazing, definitely eye catching.

Cheers

Toby

andymac 31 Jul 2014
In reply to woolsack:

You beat me to it.

If he is wise ,he will say it is next doors shed.

Looking a bit Heath Robinson.

If you look closely ,you can see Tarzan on the left hand side.

Apart from that ,IMA , your bike is smart sir.
OP IMA 01 Aug 2014
In reply to IMA:

Woolsack - standard colour scheme, well for the S works.

RE garden - I leave that to when my mother visits. However I like the jungle look, low maintenance (zero by me except the odd water) and encourages bees and birds (dogs scare the cats off)

Yeah the summer house is in storage in my garden... Thinking of getting rid of it tbh, just the effort required to do so. Until then I will throw felt over when needed and not overly care as it stores garden furniture and tools.

Went with a black and red bottle cage in the end, just waiting for the new saddle.
 Timmd 01 Aug 2014
In reply to IMA:
I'd keep the summer house / shed and put wooden shingle tiles on or something like that.

It's often handy to have outside storage.

PS nice bike.
Post edited at 20:08
 Timmd 01 Aug 2014
In reply to IMA:

> Small is good, longer stem more seat post

A longer stem can affect the steering, depending on how much longer, make it less responsive...
Jim C 01 Aug 2014
In reply to IMA:

> Treated myself after finally finding a colour scheme interesting enough to gain my attention.
> Anyway here it is, built my me with a little help from the LBS
> https://flic.kr/p/ovGcgE

> Weighs in at 7kg without the cages so 7.05kg is roughly the expected. I'll try make it sub 7 at some point

I assume IMA, that you racing guys have shed every ounce of superfluous body fat and therefore the only way to get faster is spend loads of cash on super lightweight bikes?

(I have been losing weight ( down to 12s5lb - 5'10") to help out on a upcoming bike tour, ( not racing) but noting the attention to tiny weights on these threads makes me imagine that every ounce/ gramme of body fat must fought over by the owners of such bikes?)

OP IMA 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Haha, no christ I drink too much wine and eat too much cheese. I did want a top frame and to make a 7kg bike. But if I was desperate for weight loss, the 2 bottle cages would be carbon and the group set would be record.

On the plus side I am around 65kg (bounce between 10-11st) at 5ft 10. This is definitely not my race bike either, maybe if I was Cat1 or elite.
Jim C 02 Aug 2014
In reply to IMA:

> On the plus side I am around 65kg (bounce between 10-11st) at 5ft 10.

I just weighed myself there.
Now 12s-2-1/2ibs. So I can see in comparison to you, at the same height, there is scope for me to lose quite a bit more yet, but as I was over 13 st when I thought about a bike trip a few weeks back, so , I have lost enough weight already to justify taking some extra comfort items , so on goes some treats , my warmer sleeping bag and my thermarest . The bike though is a equally chunky 15 Kg, and I have added weight to it with a stand and handlebar extensions etc. so I will be making slow progress.

(If I am lucky, I will also miss most of the predicted bad weekend weather as I don't get to Barra until 8:30pm on Sunday, but it may be a miserable wet train/ ferry ride)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...