UKC

Tirpentwys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trinder 29 Jul 2014

Hi guys just a quick summary of what I've been upto , I started another topic about a week ago and was told to try tirpentwys quarry , I've been there twice now once Sunday and again today , I wasn't sure about leading for first time but I've managed the following routes , 1 ,2 ,4,20,24 and 30 failed route 6 but not too bothered about that , really enjoyed myself and so did my mates that came with me , looking for other sport routes in South Wales area now to try something different but all in all I've loved it and I'm deffo hooked on climbing
Post edited at 17:53
 andrewmc 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Trinder:

Glad you enjoyed it If you want you can log your routes here on UKC if you are not already doing so; go to 'Logbooks', 'Log My Climbs' at the top of the page.
OP Trinder 30 Jul 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod: thanks mate I've just logged them I took a few pics but don't know how to post them , was a bit nervous about leading but found it really good , haven't had a fall yet though so that may change , was really proud that I climbed mental mantles and ledge and braces cleanly with no info on the climbs , crumbling at edges was relatively easy and don't see how it's graded at a 6a because I found other routes at 5 tougher to climb but I'm no expert so what do I know , thanks for the advice and for telling me about tirpentwys it's literally 15 minutes up the road from me so will be honing my climbing skills there for the foreseeable future , will be trying Oakdale next week too if you have any tips or help for that crag
 GridNorth 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Trinder:

It's a great little venue. I don't want to burst your bubble but you won't find many sports crags as pleasant as that. It's a quarry alright but it's old, as in not been worked for some considerable time, and has a friendly ambience. Most are grotty quarries that feel like, well, grotty quarries.
OP Trinder 30 Jul 2014
In reply to GridNorth: just to clarify are you talking about Oakdale or tirpentwys , thanks for the help

afshapes 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Trinder:

Well they're not all grotty. ... navigation is really nice! Mount Pleasant was untiL it got banned! Gelli has a really nice outlook albeit a bit grotty on the rock.
In reply to Trinder:

hi trinder if you are willing to travel a bit further there are loads of pleasant sport crags on the gower. Rhosilli now has 50 new routes from 2 to 6c and you have wedge wall above it has some nice route around the 5 range, southgate is also got you have about 6 sport crags within a 10 min walk of the national trust car park all most of them have routes from 5 and above. i must say I do have a soft spot for the valleys sandstone tho
OP Trinder 31 Jul 2014
Thanks guys I'll look into those crags for the future

Mark Edwards 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Trinder:

Looking for something else local? How about Crag X at Gilwern Hill (above Blaenavon). Some of the flowstone routes may be short but can be tricky.
Regards Mark (Talywain).
OP Trinder 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Mark Edwards: are they sport routes ? Going to look into that

jayyaj 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Trinder:

Another quarry almost next door to Tirpentwys is Siocled Seren Pysgod Quarry. Some of it's a bit loose but there are a few lovely routes in there. A lovely location too if it wasn't for the litter hung in the trees for shooting practice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...