UKC

Lundy Luggage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dazzle 29 Jul 2014

The info that comes through with Lundy bookings suggests there is a 20Kg hold luggage limit. When i went several years ago this was not enforced.
Does anyone know if this is still the case? I'm camping and climbing so can see weight being an issue I know you can carry on what you want but don't want to walk up the hill with too many bags
Post edited at 18:57
 london_huddy 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Dazzle:

I've been 5 times and have never had luggage weighed and haven't heard of it happening: doesn't mean to say that it won't though...

The exception was the helicopter in winter!
 Al Evans 29 Jul 2014
In reply to london_huddy:

I've been 14 times, never had the luggage weighed, I would think the sub aqua boys have far heavier packs than climbers. There is a land rover and trailer that takes your luggage up and drops it off at your place of staying, the only reason to carry stuff up the not inconsiderable hill is if you want to climb on the day you arrive. Then of course you just sort it out into two, one for staying in the accomodation and one for climbing on the day.
OP Dazzle 29 Jul 2014
In reply to both:
Great, thanks

Dave Musgrove 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Dazzle:

As I understand it the 20kg limit is only an issue if the weather is bad and/or the boat is cancelled and the helicopter replaces the boat. If you have to fly back you may need to leave some luggage on the island or pay extra.
 Enty 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Dazzle:

Yeah it's a massive walk up that hill from the dock with camping and climbing gear. I'm not the only person thinking FFS.

E
 Ffion Blethyn 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

Nope, me too. Land Rovers?

Though I've not been there since The PS Waverley was the preferred means of transport across the bay.
 london_huddy 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Ffion Blethyn:

Tractors with big trailers carry your checked luggage up from the boat but take a couple of hours to get to some accommodation. A lucky few (folk with mobility issues mostly) can get a lift up the hill in a landie.
 Al Evans 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Yeah it's a massive walk up that hill from the dock with camping and climbing gear. I'm not the only person thinking FFS.

> E

See my post.
 Andy Clarke 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Dazzle:

We had luggage weighed in August 2013 - in fact two of the bags arrived at the Barn with overweight stickers on them and we had to pay the excess charges. Staff said it was a Health & Safety issue - they didn't want the handlers having to lift stuff that was too heavy. So it's probably best to stick to the limit on hold bags and carry everything else you need.
In reply to Dazzle:

Pack lighter people! As a climbing pair, the combined 40kg shuold be more than ample for a large trad rack and 70m ab rope. The biggest weight issue might be food, but while the island shop might be a bit more expensive than tescos, its not extortionate.

The walk up from the ferry is not hard, even with a rack and ab rope.

Enjoy your trip!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...