UKC

Commuting to Solitude

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Burns 29 Jul 2014
It happens to all of us most of the time these days. You look in your calendar and something’s missing, someone has stolen your time. I was sure I could squeeze a few days on the hill in before August, just two or three days, nothing extravagant. Yet everywhere I look I have appointments and things to do. I’m sure there used to be more days in July than there are now.

When you are a child, I read somewhere, time drips slowly past, when you become an adult that drip turns into a waterfall. I’m petrified I’m going to turn round one day as something rushes past, “What was that? Oh, my life! Shit I missed it.”

Then an idea occurs to me, a way of getting a quick fix of solitude before I head to Edinburgh and spend August amongst the mad maelstrom of the Festival Fringe. I live in Inverness, right in the heart of the heart of the Highlands and I’ve always thought how easy it would be to walk in to a bothy on a summer’s evening and come out the following morning having had a night of peace but still able to get work done the following day.
I’ve thought about doing this, planned it even, but have I done it, of course not, I’ve put it on the “things to do” shelf, along with buying a canoe and writing a novel, and left it gathering dust. Now is the time.

Read more and see the photos here https://johndburns.wordpress.com/2014/07/29/commuting-to-solitude/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...