UKC

Leaving stuff in cars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lightweight 31 Jul 2014

What's the general view on leaving stuff in cars while doing routes?

We'll be in the Pyrenees this summer, with our Ford Fiesta full to the brim (back seats down) with climbing gear, my road bike, camping gear.

We'd like to do some mountaineering routes, going up to huts, staying over, bagging a peak and then returning to the valley.

But we are a bit anxious about leaving a car that's clearly full of stuff in a car park - even if I lock the road bike up to a lampost nearby.

Would you take the risk?
 Enty 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Lightweight:
I wouldn't leave anything in my car while I go cragging. All the car parks at all the crags around here have broken car glass on the floor. Im also dubious about leaving stuff in a tent back at a campsite.
Probably not what you want to hear.
Sorry.

E
Post edited at 22:04
OP Lightweight 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

hmmm.... i'm not really sure what you can do. perhaps leave a tent in the campsite with some stuff in. leave the car in the campsite with some other stuff in the boot where it can't be seen. lock the bike up to a lampost. and hitchhike to the start of the route to the hut.

grrrr. what an arse, all because people steal stuff.
 jon 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Lightweight:

What Enty said. Yes, it pisses us off too. I was at Baume Rousse today and the parking was full of glass. I realise you're in a different area but personally I don't think it's worth risking it. From experience I can tell you if someone puts a brick through your window it's not just the stuff that's nicked that's a pain, it's the hassle of getting another window etc etc. Better to leave the car and everything you're not taking in the campsite and take a bus or hitch to where your route starts. Now, if you were in Switzerland you could leave the doors wide open and it'd be safe!
 MaranaF 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Lightweight:

Hi, I only have limited experience of climbing, camping and leaving gear all over the place in the Pyrenees and have had no problems, not even a hint of a problem.

In the Alpes around Briancon I have had absolutely no problems, in fact I rarely bother to lock the van or even take the keys out of the ignition.

My experiences of the French outside of the city's is all positive, I think its a cultural thing.

Italy is a different matter.
 rj_townsend 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Lightweight:

A roofbox is useful if you have access to one - can be either kept on the car, or be removed and locked to a tree at the campsite.
 Enty 31 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

> Hi, I only have limited experience of climbing, camping and leaving gear all over the place in the Pyrenees and have had no problems, not even a hint of a problem.

> In the Alpes around Briancon I have had absolutely no problems, in fact I rarely bother to lock the van or even take the keys out of the ignition.

> My experiences of the French outside of the city's is all positive, I think its a cultural thing.

>

We were like that for the first 7 years we lived in France. Then we got burgled - they came into our bedroom while we were sleeping.
Then, at a local campsite 2 people I know had their tents slashed and their stuff robbed while they were sleeping.
Don't get complacent beacuse it's France - I've experienced more crime here in 10 years than the previous 35 years living in East Lancashire and i come from a town which has a rough as f*ck reputation.

E

Enty 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Lightweight:

When it comes to my bikes - when they're out of the house they never ever leave my sight. I'd never go on a camping holiday with my road bikes - problem is they are worth more than the car.

E
 jon 31 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

> I think its a cultural thing.

No it's not. That's just naïve. Sorry.

Enty 31 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

> I think its a cultural thing.

Which cultures?

E

MaranaF 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

Agreed, no need to be complacent but when we lived in Vallouise, a little tiny village, the neighbours got pissy if we locked the house as they thought we didnt trust them...

As far as i know the only reported crime around there comes in with the tourists, particularly the teenagers from Marseilles. But thats rumour.

I have great locks on the van, a safe box welded in to the floor for passports and the like, a isolated garage area for climbing gear and other larger valuables and a lockable roof box, its my old builders van and is dented and scruffy, it doesnt look like it has anything of value in it and after three years its never been a problem. I only bother using the locks in the UK or Italy.

Thieves are lazy, by definition, make it hard and unattractive and they will try something else.
 Enty 31 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

> Thieves are lazy, by definition, make it hard and unattractive and they will try something else.

Crap thieves are lazy. Good ones will stake you out for weeks.

E
 MaranaF 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

i dont think they would spend weeks on me!
 johncook 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Lightweight:

Some French campsites have a secure 'garage' where campers can deposit their more valuable and visible stuff (for a fee of course) Might be worth the cost.
 GeoffRadcliffe 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Then, at a local campsite 2 people I know had their tents slashed and their stuff robbed while they were sleeping.

That's worrying!

I still prefer to believe that my stuff will be reasonably safe in a tent on a decent campsite and a lot safer than in a car at a remote layby. I have heard only a few stories of gear being looted from tents on proper campsites but then I don't get out much! I would be interested to hear any stories which would change my opinion on this.

Leaving any gear on show in a car is asking for trouble.
 Enty 01 Aug 2014
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe:

Talk to 2poundsocks on here about his experience at the campsite at Beaumes de Venise.
You might know Rob Smitton from Clitheroe. Same happened to his friends at the same campsite.

E
OP Lightweight 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Lightweight:

Maybe the thing to do is to hide some stuff in the woods, or behind boulders or something.. hmmm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...