UKC

Albert Premier Hut - What do I get

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have booked a few nights in the Albert Premier hut in a few weeks. The phone line was pretty bad and I couldn't really get the information if food is included in the price on their website. Does anyone here know?

What are people's experiences of the hut?
1philjones1 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Patrick Clissold:

You can get dinner included and most do. Breakfast is served at set times depending on what route you're doing. Don't expect much in terms of comfort and you won't be too disappointed. Not the nicest Alpine hut I've ever visited! Great location though.
 Bruce Hooker 01 Aug 2014

Meals may or may not be included, the norm these days seems to be that they are but you can easily tell by the price, how much did they charge you? Personally I like the hut but some seem to be critical... I've always cooked myself there but that was years ago. The last time I went was in the spring a few years ago and the main hut was shut, the old original hut was open but no staff were present... in fact no one was present at all I had the place to myself.

Don't let anyone talk you into taking the short cut straight up the moraine going up, it's ok going down but hard going for ascent.
 Bruce Hooker 01 Aug 2014

I couldn't find the tariffs but it looks like you are going to a new hut, it opened on the 5th July.

http://www.clubalpin-chamonix.com/refuges/refuge-albert-1er/
 mattrm 01 Aug 2014

Chicken and rice. They always serve the same food apparently.
 jon 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

> I couldn't find the tariffs but it looks like you are going to a new hut, it opened on the 5th July.

Hmmm, twice as big, twice as ugly!
 LucaC 01 Aug 2014
In reply to mattrm:

We had boiled sausage and cabbage, would have killed for chicken and rice! Made sure you claim a bed by a window and tell the locals to bugger off if they try and close it as it can be quite stuffy.
 Mike-W-99 01 Aug 2014

We had pasta. Don't remember too much (7 years ago) other than the warden being friendly and putting us in with other english speakers for dinner.
Usual window open/closed nonsense overnight, gear rustling etc...
 Up High 01 Aug 2014
In reply to 1philjones1:

There are many alpine huts with a better location, the problem with the Albert Prem is that lots of locals just hike up to the hut stay the night and go back down so it gets crowded during holiday season
 Merlin 02 Aug 2014

They'll usually give you a free poke in the eye, that's about it, if your lucky you might get some abuse down the phone.
 JohnnyW 03 Aug 2014

Tariffs usually include food....it's only ever brits that piss about cooking their own grub. After all the horror stories, I was pleasantly surprised when I stayed there a fee years ago. It was busy, but very well organised.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...