UKC

NEWS: FRI NIGHT VIDEO: Great Wolfrey - Perfect Gritstone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Aug 2014
Dave Sutcliffe at Great Wolfrey, 5 kb Great Wolfrey... the best gritstone crag you've never been to?

It certainly looks that way in this excellent video from Dave Sutcliffe. Dave and team headed up there and knocked out a load of the classic routes, plus a few new ones for good measure.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69090

Offwidth 02 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Nice film. It's also a good place for anyone from lower grades ... really enjoyed our trip there sense checking and climbing the easier stuff for YMC.
 Shani 02 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Inspiring little film. Looks like a good venue.
 Fraser 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Shani:

Agreed on both counts. The only thing detracting somewhat for me was the incredible amount of chalk on so many of the holds.
In reply to UKC News:

Do you know what the access situation is? In my old 1988 guide it implies that official access is an issue/problem.
 Offwidth 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Christheclimber:

Minor problems now. CRoW means access is OK most times but there are agreed closures around the shooting season. The track is really boggy as you reach the bird pens so a couple of dry days is best in the warmer months (or footwear you are happy to sink in)
 Vybz 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Christheclimber:

About the access issues, YMC Yorkshire Gritstone Vol 1 says "There has been problems in the past but the crag is undoubtedly on access land".

However, It later goes on to say that there's only one permitted access route. Unfortunately I don't have the resources to provide the map.
 3leggeddog 03 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I despair, I really do.

Can't we all just leave these places alone?

Articles such as this remove the adventure of remote unpopular crags, take away the surprise of the discovery. Reading the guidebook should give enough clues.
 Jon Stewart 03 Aug 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> I despair, I really do.

> Can't we all just leave these places alone?

What!??!

It's a nice little video that could inspire, what, 4 or 5 parties to make the trek out there. I think you overestimate by several thousand orders of magnitude the effect that a clip on UKC will have on a crag.
 Offwidth 03 Aug 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:
It needs some traffic to keep things clean. It will hardly get hordes being a long walk with very boggy sections.

Park at Grimwith reservoir and walk clockwise around it crossing two brooks at the NW end then when heading back east take the first (gated) track north until it dips to a boggy section with bird pens. Take a stream/gully out east of the bog and when on the flat top head NNE across the moor until you see the crag. You can follow the brook but it's more boggy.
Post edited at 12:07
 Shani 03 Aug 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> I despair, I really do.

> Can't we all just leave these places alone?

> Articles such as this remove the adventure of remote unpopular crags, take away the surprise of the discovery. Reading the guidebook should give enough clues.

Some places like Stoney, could do with more traffic on the less popular routes to keep them clean.Go figure!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...