UKC

Snowdon: walking routes to the summit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 02 Aug 2014
I am on holiday with the family in Snowdonia this next week. I am embarrassed that I have never been to the summit of Snowdon, and am keen to get the family up there; but they are not very fit. Which path would you recommend for easy going?

(No no not the train!!!!)
 Gordonbp 02 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

The least amount of ascent is the PYG track. However all ascents have a steep bit at the top!
In reply to BusyLizzie:

that's a difficult one to answer as all the routes up snowdon are not easy. The Shortest route is the Pyg but it's not the easiest. The longest route is the Llanberis track which is the most manicured, The most scenic route that isn't Crib Goch is Rhyd Ddu.

I would probably go with the Llanberis - it might take longer but it's the most straight forward.
 ianstevens 02 Aug 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

> that's a difficult one to answer as all the routes up snowdon are easy.

Fixed that for you.
In reply to ianstevens:

That depends on your fitness and head for heights.
 ianstevens 02 Aug 2014
That's a fair point. I was more referring to the technical difficulty of any of the "major" routes up (assuming Crib Goch doesn't count as one).
Post edited at 13:44
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I'd recommend going up the Miners' and down the PYG.

The Llanberis path is a bit more straightforward, but very dull, and you have no option but to retrace your steps on the way down.
In reply to ianstevens:

Difficulty is subjective. I was trying to be objective given the information in the OP - "they are not very fit".

I have lead many people up Snowdon and I've yet to meet anyone who has said it was easy - some of them quite fit people.

There's a perception held by many that it is easy and is quite safe because of the well-maintained paths and the fact it has a train to the summit.
Nothing could be further from the truth given recent tragedies near the summit, one of which has prompted the SNPA to assess the 'paths to nowhere'.
 Gone 02 Aug 2014

Indeed. I once had to bail when taking a friend of unknown abilities up Snowdon on the Pyg track because she freaked out when there was a little bit of loose rock and a gully to one side of the path. She would have been fine on Llanberis path, I think. I felt massive relief that I'd overruled someone else in the group who wanted to take her up Crib Goch.

The Llanberis path is long and can be tedious. I have many miserable memories as a kid of starting up it with my middle aged and unfit parents and four times out of five never making the summit because they walked so slowly and were over-protective about safety.
 Jake463 02 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Llanberis path is the easiest but it's a boring climb. As a route of descent though, with the distant views in front of you, it is actually quite pleasant. Personally, I'd leave the car in Llanberis, get the frequent Sherpa bus up to Pen-y-Pass (£1.50 per person I think), go up the Pyg then down the Llanberis.
Wulfrunian 02 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I'd go with the Llanberis path personally, if the party aren't very fit. Although one of the longer routes up, it's the least strenuous climb. I'd also break with convention and call it a pleasant route with nice views. Done it 2 or 3 times and never found it boring personally. It's countryside. Countryside's never boring.
 DancingOnRock 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Jake463:

> Llanberis path is the easiest but it's a boring climb. As a route of descent though, with the distant views in front of you, it is actually quite pleasant. Personally, I'd leave the car in Llanberis, get the frequent Sherpa bus up to Pen-y-Pass (£1.50 per person I think), go up the Pyg then down the Llanberis.

This. In spades. A great day out.
 Brass Nipples 02 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Or train halfway?
OP BusyLizzie 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

I am afraid that if my family decides to take the train even part of the way they will get no dinner. Absolutely none. and they will be walking back to the cottage for the night because I shall have driven the car off in a huff!!
OP BusyLizzie 02 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. All very helpful; I shall report back after the holiday on route taken, and on how grumpy or otherwise my family gets. I shall of course have a great time.
xx
 Skyfall 02 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Early start, Pyg track.

Hope all ok.
OP BusyLizzie 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

Yes, all ok, ta!

Early start ... hmm, you haven't met my son have you
 Skyfall 03 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

The parking for the Pyg (and Miners) track is at Pen y Pass. An early start merely to get parked is advisable. Probably not so bad mid week. This link might help in comparing the routes.

http://www.visitsnowdonia.info/sherpa_-_bus_timetable_and_snowdon_walking_p...
Tim Chappell 03 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Just to throw a spaniard in the works: why not go up the Carneddau instead? Much quieter and pleasanter. Views of Lancashire, too.
Springfield 03 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Our 7 year old managed the Miners track easily last week. It has the simplest walk in, some steep walking up and down to the top and then a gentle walk back. It took about 4 hours to get up and down. I had to carry our little one (age 3) all the way up and back as well, and that was no problem either along the miners. As others have said, going that way gives you the option of using the pyg track as well.
In reply to Tim Chappell:

It's just cussedness on my part, Tim: how can I have got to this age and (oh the shame of it how can I say this in the presence of climbers) have never been to the top of Snowdon. We might of course go up the Carneddau instead, and also I have been researching easy scrambles (they think I mean eggs, bless them...).

Anyway, it's all academic 'cos I've just noticed it is going to rain all week
In reply to Skyfall:

Good thinking with that bus timetable - thank you!
 peterjb 03 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I went with my 7 yo daughters (twins) up Pyg and Down Miners on Thursday. We stayed at YHA pen y pass night before to make it a bit of an adventure, and on the way up found a few little 'side scrambles' for fun. Llanberis is defo easier, but I find (previously) more tedious unless by bike. They found climb fine/ fun and descent hard work initially, but easy once down to miners track. Took us 6 hrs up and down with picnic by lake shore on way back down.

We played various games on the way up, such as 'things to do with mountains starting with a through z' (no x-ray fish here!), count the trainers, spot the people on Lliwedd/ crib goch, how valuable it quartz and how may crystals can you conceal in your pockets before i reveal it is not! etc etc...

Have fun, if the weather poo don't bother. If its mediocre do, and tell them how wonderfully well they have done (will be deserved anyway), if its great remember the sun cream!
 BnB 04 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

What on earth is wrong with walking in bad weather? My son, who is a bit cussed I admit, still waxes lyrical about some of the foul weather outings when we've doggedly pressed on to the summits of various Munros.

Misty mountain tops are magical!!
OP BusyLizzie 04 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

Wet walks? Yes, I shall enjoy those very much. But the family is a different kettle of fish. Do you know, my daughter doesn't like sheep because they are muddy!!!!
OP BusyLizzie 04 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Right, off we go today - thank you all for your lovely replies. The weather looks poor but it will be lovely to be there no matter what; if the weather is poor and the family is unenthusiastic I shall get wet and happy anyway. Will report back.
 BnB 04 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Have a great time. Lots to do in N Wales apart from hiking!!
OP BusyLizzie 07 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thank you again, everybody. After negotiations, we went up the Miners Track and down the Pyg Track. I was very surprised at how easy it was; the family claimed to be exhausted. But we all had a very splendid outing.

It was raining and very windy on the summit; but below the cloud the surroundings were beautiful and the views were fantastic. It was relatively un-crowded because of the weather. The quietness and stillness of that perfect amphitheatre of dark rock around Llyn Glaslyn will stay with me always.
 LastBoyScout 07 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:
I have a fondness for the Ranger trail, which I first did aged about 5 - I think it tends to have least amount of people on it, too.

Llanberis trail is a bit of a motorway, but good for cycling up.

I did the drop off at Pen-y-Pass/Pyg Track/Llanberis pass (as suggested above) last August b/h with a relatively unfit family friend. Took ages, as he's too polite and stopped to chat with everyone that he might have been holding up on the way, but we made it in fine style with a posh picnic at the summit
Post edited at 13:24
 robert-hutton 07 Aug 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I like to start by going up the Llanberis path to the first wall, then turn right on a small path that goes up the ridge overlooking the pass, stunning views and comes out by the halfway train station, at this point the Llanberis path starts to get a bit more interesting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...