UKC

C2C Whitehaven to Sunderland on a Road Bike?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkesley 02 Aug 2014
I am supposed to be doing this ride in a week or so. Talking to my brother in law last night it seems that there are several sections that are on non metalled tracks. A quick scan of the Cicerone Guide confirms this.

I was planning to do it on my road bike, rather than the hybrid. Are the "off road" sections OK on a road bike. If not I am assuming that I can devise a road alternative. It looks as though I may have to use my last resort - "Read the instructions".
 Brass Nipples 02 Aug 2014
In reply to wilkesley:
Always road alternatives but the off road bits are ok on a road bike along as not on 23mm and trying to go fast.
Post edited at 14:53
 andy 02 Aug 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

The main off-road is the Waskerley Way, and on a road bike it's shit to be honest. There's a brilliant road that's pretty much parallel to it to the north - superb views and very fast. There's also the old railway after Keswick - we just rode along the A66 - not pleasant but at least it's not gravel!
OP wilkesley 06 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:

Thanks. I have done the Keswick bit before on a hybrid. However, you can also cycle along the opposite side of the main road past Castlerigg Stone Circle.

Has anyone had any experience of getting back from the finish by train? Northern Rail say they have a 2 bikes per train policy, but you can't pre-book places. How strictly is this enforced?
 Sir Chasm 06 Aug 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

> Thanks. I have done the Keswick bit before on a hybrid. However, you can also cycle along the opposite side of the main road past Castlerigg Stone Circle.

> Has anyone had any experience of getting back from the finish by train? Northern Rail say they have a 2 bikes per train policy, but you can't pre-book places. How strictly is this enforced?

It depends entirely on the guard, most of the time it's fine, sometimes it isn't. It's pot luck.
OP wilkesley 18 Aug 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

Had a great time. Went via the Castlerigg Stone Circles, to avoid the Keswick rail track. I avoided the Waskerley Way via the parallel B road, which was a great descent. My son rode along the Way and said it was fine on his road bike.

The hill leading up to the start of the Waskerley Way completed destroyed me. Hardest bit of the whole ride! We had just congratulated ourselves on doing the ride without getting wet, when 2 miles from Newcastle station there was a torrential downpour. Completely soaked in a couple of minutes.

No problems getting > 2 bikes on the train back to Whitehaven. Good job as I was soaked and very cold from sitting around on the train to Carlisle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...