UKC

wheel upgrade - front or rear first?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 02 Aug 2014
kona kula 2007 26' with stock wheels, thinking of upgrading to something lighter, probably can afford one decent wheel now, so which end would make most difference.

also any suggestions for a tubeless wheel welcomed
In reply to ow arm:

My unscientific opinion would be the rear. Assuming you are getting new hubs, there are greater advantages to be had from the rear being upgraded.
OP The Potato 02 Aug 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

to be fair the hubs are both pretty smooth and although I could build a wheel it would most likely mean new spokes too so its easier to get a good peebuilt one.

my thoughts would be rear first also but ukc is an endless font of knowledge and I am sometimes wrong
 Manboob 02 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Is it not worth saving up and waiting to buy a pair? You'll probably get a better deal on a wheelset??
 gethin_allen 02 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Depending on what you are running at the moment you can often shave off a lot of weight relatively cheaply buy getting good tyres. Cheap steel bead tyres can weigh a kg each, whereas you can get good tyres weighing closer to 600g. You'd pay a lot to take that off a wheel set.
OP The Potato 02 Aug 2014

thanks for suggestions but im already using decent tyres....
Springfield 03 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

No offence meant but save your cash and loose half a stone instead.....
I use an entry level trek and there is no point changing it until I've lost at least two stone and the bike becomes the limiting factor rather than me!
OP The Potato 03 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

5'11 and 72kg, could loose a little more I suppose but not much!
rotational mass is as important as overall weight.

anyway no matter it was just a thought
 Reach>Talent 03 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I'd probably hold off and buy a pair. I seem to remember getting a fairly hefty discount on a pair as opposed to two individual wheels.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...