UKC

What to do in Galicia?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Mayfield 02 Aug 2014
Rich Orange and I are escaping the heat in our motorhome in 2 weeks.

I have also wanted to visit Galicia so we are heading up for 10 days.

I have told Rich no climbing and well you would think I had killed his granny! I have said we will take limited gear and if he is a good boy I might hold his ropes! Lol

What should we do? ideas etc

I have seen a guidebook to the area which I might get hold of before we go but anyone know the area etc.

ta peeps.

Sam Orange House
 tlm 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

I don't know myself, as I have never been there, but I would be interested in hearing how it goes as I would love to visit...

I found this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/9409049/Galicia...
OP Sam Mayfield 04 Aug 2014

Nearly 60 of you have looked at the thread but no answers, I looked back through old threads and found out that the guide book is out of print, Desnivel site looks limited so might have to just wing it!

I did find a few vids on YouTube so will look at them again in more detail.

Poor Rich can't look at guidebook whilst on the loo before we visit! Lol

Sam orange

philipivan 04 Aug 2014

There is a lot of whitewater in the winter so you might find some interesting canyoning or gorge scrambling in summer. Bilbao is not far away, guggenheim etc.
 Bob Hughes 04 Aug 2014

A Coruña - nice coastal town

Costa do Morte - beautiful secluded white sand beaches. Rugged coastine.

Santiago de Compostela is definitely worht a visit - full of tourists but a lovely centre. Wander round the streets at night

Rias Baixas - a series of 3 river inlets on the west cost just above the portuguese border. Nearest towns are Pontevedra and Vigo. Home of Albariño white wine. Quite touristy but in a good way. Here are a few things you can do there:

- A boat trip to sea the mussel colonies was surprisingly good fun. We had dolphins jumping along the side of the boat the the organisers serve huge buckets of mussels and cheap white wine. Go to the harbour in O Grove and there are plenty of place to get the boat.

- Have lunch at the Costa da Vela in Cabo Hom (both on Google Maps). It's a nice rustic place, a bit out of the way, good seafood and nice wine.

- Hang out in Pontevedra - it has a beautiful town centre - well worth the vist

- Visit wineries. The area from the AP-9 to Cambados is the centre of Albariño production.

- Islas Cies - uninhabited islands about a 20-minute boatride from Vigo. To be honest they are a bit over-rated because they can get very touristy. I preferred the beaches on the mainland.
 g1m147 04 Aug 2014

Go surfing.
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Thanks Bob, I have a long list of tourist stuff it's more the climbing for hubby I was trying to source. Looks like it is a well guarded secret.

Hmm surfing is for youngsters! Lol

Sam orange

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 Aug 2014

Not really too far from here - a little detour might get him his fix,

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6498

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Morning Mr Craggs

Been there done that! We are driving up through corner of Portugal as never been before.

Sam x
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 Aug 2014

You have the Jingo Wobbly to Portugal? Or have you ticked that already too?

Chris

PS Have a great trip
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Never crossed the border before, just want to pass through to say we have been! lol

The granite on the top coast looks great in some vids we have seen, and would you believe its all bolted sea cliffs! Not very like Cornwall at all!

Sam x
RockShock 04 Aug 2014

Hi Sam,

You should get hold of "Donde escalar en España" by Desnivel - it contains majority of crags from the whole country by rpovince. It provides a brief overview only, but gives you infromation where to look for further beta.

For Galicia, I am seeing only 22 crags, mainly cliff or coastal venues.

You may want to google for:

Cabo Prior (Cobas) - 175 routes
Acatnillados de Chanteiro (Chanteiro) - 60 routes
Castro de Baroña (Porto do Son) - 59 routes

For bouldering: Pena Corneira (Leiro) - 600 boulders

Never been that far north for climbing, so can´t give you anything from my personal experience...

Greetings from MAD
RS
 tlm 04 Aug 2014

Oh, you wanted climbing stuff?

How about this:
http://es.wikiloc.com/rutas/escalada/espana/galicia

or this:
http://tinyurl.com/m3943bm
OP Sam Mayfield 11 Aug 2014
In reply to tlm:

I found Galicia Vertical online to download so have the guidebook.

Now just need it to stop raining! If anyone wants the guide head over to kickass....

Sam Orange

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...