UKC

Western Lakes walks advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Fox 03 Aug 2014
Hi- have a short trip and stay around Muncaster planned. Never been out that way - any recommendations for some walks (not all day of 'a slog' as girlfriend would describe. I believe Duddon estuary lovely? Thanks in advance.
 Wainers44 04 Aug 2014
In reply to The Fox:

From Muncaster I would always head into Eskdale. You could go on the Ratty from Muncaster Mill if you don't want to drive.

Up in Eskdale there are loads of easy and beautiful low level walks to do, most follow various bits of the Esk and you can break them up with pubs at half way. I could list a load but the best thing is to buy the small booklet of Eskdale Walks which Wainwright wrote for the railway and is sold in the gift shops at both Ravenglass and Dalegarth.

Carolyn 04 Aug 2014
In reply to The Fox:

Eskdale is lovely, and often very quiet.

Wasdale Head can be busier, but also very atmospheric, and valley level walks from the Head can get you right inbetween the big fells. Or up to Sty Head Tarn if that's within acceptable length. The Screes along the back side of Wast Water aren't as easy as they look (path involves boulder hopping, so whilst it's "flat" you need to be good on your feet) but another possibility.

Muncaster Fell itself, and the surrounding area might be good, too.
 mockerkin 04 Aug 2014
In reply to The Fox:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/aug/02/sp-lake-district-guide-wester...

But be careful she doesn't mention the dangers of going onto the high fell routes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...