UKC

Pro-team helmets at Commonwealths

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy 03 Aug 2014
Noticed that Dowsett and Thomas both wore their respective pro-team helmets at the Games, but with names taped over - what's the crack? Surely England could afford to provide a helmet? Or do their teams ask them to wear them, even though the names are taped over?
 Sir Chasm 03 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:

> Noticed that Dowsett and Thomas both wore their respective pro-team helmets at the Games, but with names taped over - what's the crack? Surely England could afford to provide a helmet? Or do their teams ask them to wear them, even though the names are taped over?

They've got helmets, why should they get new ones?
 The New NickB 03 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:

Team bikes as well, in the TT at least anyway, not seen the road race yet. Is it contractual, a condition of the team releasing them to compete?
OP andy 03 Aug 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> Team bikes as well, in the TT at least anyway, not seen the road race yet. Is it contractual, a condition of the team releasing them to compete?

I wondered that - but why do the organisers let them wear/ride team stuff but make them cover up the names.
OP andy 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> They've got helmets, why should they get new ones?

Well they 've presumably got skinsuits as well, but they get new ones of those. And Wiggo got a helmet with England on the track.
 The Fox 03 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:
i'd look at it this way - you're about to do your hardest ever onsight. are you happy to swap your harness, rack and helmet? why not?
Post edited at 21:02
OP andy 03 Aug 2014
In reply to The Fox:

> i'd look at it this way - you're about to do your hardest ever onsight. are you happy to swap your harness, rack and helmet? why not?

Bit of a daft analogy - it's a cycling helmet provided by their team. If they change team they change helmets. And in any case, why not a non-Sky Kask helmet?

I'm sure it's something to do with the team sponsors, but I don't quite understand the "wear an instantly recogniseable helmet, leave the logo (as Dowsett did) but cover the name".
 Sir Chasm 03 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:

> Well they 've presumably got skinsuits as well, but they get new ones of those. And Wiggo got a helmet with England on the track.

It's ok, they're not mamils with more money than taste, don't worry dear.
 The Fox 03 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:
more to do with wearing kit you're used to when performing at your top level. they may be professional but they're still human.
Post edited at 21:15
 woolsack 03 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:

> Noticed that Dowsett and Thomas both wore their respective pro-team helmets at the Games, but with names taped over - what's the crack? Surely England could afford to provide a helmet? Or do their teams ask them to wear them, even though the names are taped over?

England could afford them it was the others that were a bit skint this month!
OP andy 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> It's ok, they're not mamils with more money than taste, don't worry dear.

I asked the question because I thought someone might know the answer. You apparently don't - but thanks for your input.

As it happens i asked the same question on bike radar and a paralympic TT rider replied - it's sometimes the rider's decision, but logos/names have to be covered. And in some cases the sponsor asks them to wear them, even with logos covered over. He thought G may have a deal with Kask, whereas Luke Rowe and Peter Kennaugh have the same manager (and neither wore team helmets).
OP andy 03 Aug 2014
In reply to The Fox:

> more to do with wearing kit you're used to when performing at your top level. they may be professional but they're still human.

Could understand that with bikes, but arm-warmers?
 Arms Cliff 03 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:

I noted the Garmin riders all had POC helmets to match their country kits, which was a nice touch, assume they must a deal with them.
 gethin_allen 03 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:

I noticed Geraint Thomos was wearing sky branded arm warmers.

Considering that identical items minus the branding could all be bought it does seem odd. I can understand the thing with bikes, they are expensive and set up very specifically for each rider.
 Sir Chasm 03 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:

> I asked the question because I thought someone might know the answer. You apparently don't - but thanks for your input.

> As it happens i asked the same question on bike radar and a paralympic TT rider replied - it's sometimes the rider's decision, but logos/names have to be covered. And in some cases the sponsor asks them to wear them, even with logos covered over. He thought G may have a deal with Kask, whereas Luke Rowe and Peter Kennaugh have the same manager (and neither wore team helmets).

Excellent, that's that sorted.
OP andy 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Arms Cliff:

> I noted the Garmin riders all had POC helmets to match their country kits, which was a nice touch, assume they must a deal with them.

Can't remember who it was, but one of the Garmin guys had his team TT helmet in, but with a big black tape over the logo.
andymac 03 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:

Thomas even had on Sky sleeve warmers.

Not right IMO.

Surely any red or green sleeves would have done.

The helmet? fair enough.

The sleeve warmers ?Not acceptable.

Looked a bit like "you do know I ride for Team Sky"
Post edited at 21:37
 Brass Nipples 03 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:

Geraniums helmet gad sky on the side.
OP andy 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

> Geraniums helmet gad sky on the side.

Think the rain might've washed the tape off!
In reply to andymac:

Wouldn't surprise me if Team Wales hadn't supplied any team issue warm warmers, so given the conditions, he used what he had.
 Enty 03 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:

> I asked the question because I thought someone might know the answer. You apparently don't - but thanks for your input.

> As it happens i asked the same question on bike radar and a paralympic TT rider replied - it's sometimes the rider's decision, but logos/names have to be covered. And in some cases the sponsor asks them to wear them, even with logos covered over. He thought G may have a deal with Kask, whereas Luke Rowe and Peter Kennaugh have the same manager (and neither wore team helmets).

Yep - one of those wankerish things that make no sense. If G had had "SKY" on his helmet would we have all cancelled our BBC licence and gone and bought Sky TV?
Remember when we were kids and someone on TV accidentally mentioned a brand name and they nearly got nuked?

E
OP andy 03 Aug 2014

> Wouldn't surprise me if Team Wales hadn't supplied any team issue warm warmers, so given the conditions, he used what he had.

No - given they only ride for Wales once every 4years they probably don't, but at London 2012 people had their kit checked - you'd have thought they'd have said "plain ones please, G".
In reply to andy:

At the Olympics if you advertise something that isn't an Olympic partner they go nuclear, but this is the friendly games.
OP andy 03 Aug 2014

> At the Olympics if you advertise something that isn't an Olympic partner they go nuclear, but this is the friendly games.

Just can't quite get some logos being taped over, other stuff (like G's arm warmers) clearly team kit.
 niallk 04 Aug 2014
In reply to andy:

> Just can't quite get some logos being taped over, other stuff (like G's arm warmers) clearly team kit.

The Sky logos were on the inside of his arms and therefore only visible in his victory salute, albeit that is the image that will travel. Maybe he turned them round this way for the same reasons as the taped up helemets??

That said, I'm sure he could have picked up a pair from the bike-shops in town, now that he is financially secure in his new contract

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...