UKC

Extreme rock book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fionatheclimber 03 Aug 2014
Earlier this year I bought a copy of Extreme Rock in very good condition for £80. Is that a bargain? It's got the ISBN on the back of the dust cover which my other copy doesn't.
In reply to Fionatheclimber:

yes. though some would probably say you've been robbed. I've seen people trying to sell theirs for £100s. I don't think anyone ever has paid that much though.
In reply to Fionatheclimber: That's probably fair enough. There are stories of people selling for hundreds but I think they are just that: stories!

Dewi Williams 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I sold my copy of extreme rock through Amazon for £175 in October 2011.
 steve taylor 03 Aug 2014

Sold mine on a well known auction site for £200.

In reply to Dewi Williams: Wow, you got a great deal. Whoever bought it paid massively over the odds, but the book is worth what someone wil pay I guess! Well done to you, I say!

Adam Lincoln 03 Aug 2014
In reply to steve taylor:

Sold a spare copy four £230 on ebay!
 Martin Bennett 04 Aug 2014

I sold mine for £185 and it wasn't in great condition. £80 is a great bargain. I'll give you £85 for it!
 GridNorth 05 Aug 2014

I was offered over £200 for my copy on this very site a couple of years ago.
 The Pylon King 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Money for old rope
In reply to GridNorth:

I'm going to have look after my copy.
 Jim Walton 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Fionatheclimber: Yes it has been said many times before, only a few (~2000) were printed and then no more. The original printing plates were lost/destroyed/who knows but as this was pre-digital I think that means that it would cost too much to re-print and it's not known whether or not there is the demand.

However, they did a complete re-issue of Classic rock in a larger format with better pictures. Perhaps Vertabrate could find a way of re-issuing it. But I don't think there will the demand.

I have a copy and although I think it's nice, it's not a patch on Rock Climbers In Action in Snowdonia (which is what Mr Wilson DID NOT want Extreme Rock to look like) or the Black Cliff.

I don't operate at the grade of most of the climbs in ER so I can't comment on the selection and associated classic status. But I do think that the vast majority of the phot's are 'up the bum' shots and as a result not that inspiring...
 felt 05 Aug 2014
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to Fionatheclimber)
>
> I was offered over £200 for my copy on this very site a couple of years ago.

I occasionally offer mine on here for £250 (it's basically mint, slight scuff on back jacket edge) but no one ever seems interested. Great book, but it doesn't interest me.
contrariousjim 05 Aug 2014
In reply to felt:

Does anyone have the climbing book called "camera on the crags"?
 Offwidth 05 Aug 2014
In reply to felt:
£250 would be for a perfect copy with maybe an important signature or dedication. If you want the money ask the right price rather than being greedy.
Post edited at 13:22
contrariousjim 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Oooh, mine is in ok but well thumbed nick and its signed by Ben Moon and Johnny D.
In reply to Fionatheclimber: So you have two copies?

I paid a similar amount to you for mine, which doesn't have a dustjacket and one page has a large tear in it.

Personally, I'm not bothered about having a mint condition copy, I don't covet nice things. I have Extreme Rock because it is a very inspirational book, with some poor routes and photos but a great many very good ones also.

I even tick the routes I have done off in the back of the book. I doubt I'll ever wish to sell it so why not?

What you going to do with your second copy?

Dunc
 Bob 05 Aug 2014
In reply to contrariousjim:

> Does anyone have the climbing book called "camera on the crags"?

Pretty sure that I do - at work ATM so will have to check when I get home.
 Offwidth 05 Aug 2014

What have those two ever done on grit? :-0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Crags-Alan-Hankinson/dp/0435860003

petegunn 05 Aug 2014
I have a copy of Camera on the Crags very good condition, bought for £40.
I also have the new Capturing the Mountains which includes many of the original plates from that book and there is a special mention to the late Alan Hankinson for bringing the climbing photos back from semi obscurity.
Post edited at 14:17
 Simon Caldwell 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

An important signature or dedication would add an awful lot more than £50 or £100...
 felt 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Not greedy, just getting the ball rolling before the inevitable haggling frenzy! I will sign it if that makes you happy, but it is unmarked at the mo!
 ill_bill 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Fionatheclimber: It makes you wonder what the collection might be worth?
Classic Rock
Hard Rock (2nd ed)
Extreme Rock
Cold Climbs
Classic walks
wild walks
Big walks

Offers?

Only joking
 ill_bill 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Jim Walton: I have always wanted a copy of 'Rock climbers in action in Snowdonia'.
There was a copy in local library and I was very tempted to 'borrow' it.
It is no longer there
Maybe someone else gave in to temptation?
 Offwidth 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I've got a few in my collection at pretty much the standard price for the particular book. People pay for rarity so big names who are common signatories often fetch much less than you might think. Frankly I just want the books because they are interesting or for guidebook research and I wish they would just publish e-copies so those like me can step off the runaway train.
 Martin Wright 06 Aug 2014
In reply to ill_bill: I have the full collection which includes Extreme Alpine Rock which you appear to have overlooked. Not looking to sell, though, but nice to know that it is worth a few bob.
 Bob 06 Aug 2014
In reply to ill_bill:

Add in Extreme Alpine Rock (the original inspiration for Hard Rock) and original and current versions of Classic Rock.

You could also add Rebuffat's 100 best climbs in the Mt Blanc Massif.
 Chris Harris 06 Aug 2014

A good buy at £80. That said, I paid £10 for mine.
 Jim Nevill 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Bob: Interesting, I have 'Hard' (version 1), Classic (v1), Extreme and Ice, Plus Ghastly Rubberface as we used to ca1l it, plus Mountain magazines Nos 2-10. My wife would love it if I chucked them, but I ca now say it's an investment!
 felt 06 Aug 2014

Another reason, filthy greed aside, why I'd like to get rid of my copy of Extreme Rock is that it sits very uneasily in amongst my books on Chopin, Pergolesi, Schnittke, Bartók and the rest, giving at first glance quite the wrong impression.

Thats nothing, what you want for max profit out of your climbing collection is an early Tremadog guide... only £4,505.68

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/090160125X/ref=tmm_other_meta_bind...

In reply to Sandstone Stickman:

> Thats nothing, what you want for max profit out of your climbing collection is an early Tremadog guide... only £4,505.68

Early? I'll show you early - Pete Crew and Al Harris , Tremadoc Area from West Col Coastal Climbing Group, Grey cover, publish date 1970, 16 black and white crag photos, hardest grade XS. In my hands right now. Offers?
 Jim Walton 07 Aug 2014
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

What you must remember people is that when companies run out of stock of an item on their bay of e shop, instead of removing it they hike the price up to a stupid amount so that people don't buy it. I think they do it because it is a pain in the arse to remove an item and then re list it when they get a re-stock.

I suspect the folks do the same on Amazon.

For a sensible cross reference on a books worth is to look it up on either;

www.abebooks.co.uk
or visit Chris Bartles site
www.glacierbooks.com
or the american site
www.topworldbooks.com

However there are a few details that will make your book worth more or less.

1) First Edition, First Printing in UK are the most valuable to UK collectors. There are however, quite a few books that were first printed in the USA.
2) The Book must have its original dust jacket (DJ) and not be "price clipped". This is where the book seller cuts off the corner of the dust jacket where the publisher had placed the recommended retail price.
3) Relevant signatures i.e. Author, person who wrote the forward, significant person who is referred to in the book. I'm yet to find a book with a fake signature but I'm sure if the market is out there for them then they will appear. Personally I don't see the point in buying a book with a signature already in it. Why not go to the book launch and meet the author. There are some un written rules about getting books signed but let us not get into that.
4) Dedications can actually de-value a book even if it is written by the Author. If the book is dedicated to "Phil and Sue, Best wishes" then the re-sale value is lower unless you happen to be Phil and Sue.
5) Condition of Dust Jacket. Quite a few of the books published in the 60's and 70's were on a style of paper that really faded in the sun. Chris Boningtons books are a good example of this, it's quite rare to find a 1st Edition of "I chose to climb" where you can read the red lettering on the spine of the DJ, same goes for "Annapurna South Face". Tears are bad, badly repaired tears are worse. Sellotape is the devils sticking plaster.
6) Ex-library books are the bane of every collector. You think you've finally found a copy of a certain book for peanuts only to discover that it's an ex-library book with stamps and stickers. Try as you will the stickers just will not come out. I have tried every type of glue remover known to man, I have applied enough heat to a sticker to melt granite and still the glue does not release. It's incredible. They DO NOT come off! People often "forget" to mention it in there adds on bay of e - makes my piss boil. They often try to hide it by tearing out the first page where the sticker is placed, the book is now worthless to a collector.
7) Rare books are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. I have a Copy of Don Whillan's Portrait of a Mountaineer signed by Don, Joe Brown, Chris Bonington, Doug Scott, Tut Braithwaite and Martin Boysen or a copy of Black Cliff signed by Joe Brown, Johnny Dawes, Ron Fawcett, Al Parker, Tut Braithwaite, Chris Bonington and Martin Boysen. Technically they are probably worth £800 each but i doubt I would find someone willing to pay that.
8) There are some real rare books out their, Publishers draft proof reading copies limited edition runs (100 books only ever printed etc).

Are there any new books that will become collectors pieces? I think Peak Rock Sleeve edition will become valuable. Especially if it comes with rare signatures like Steve Bancroft, John Allan etc.
 Null 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Jim Walton:
Since you appear to know everything on the subject ... Is a first edition of W.H. Murray's Mountaineering in Scotland worth anything? Good condition, no dusk jacket, dedication to some "Fiona" in Edinburgh 1947. I'm not selling, but curious. I bought it in a charity bookshop in Winchester for a pound.
Post edited at 11:32
 smithaldo 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Jim Walton: I've got the sleeve peak rock signed by bancroft, fawcett, dawes, moffat, moon, bentley (and the authors). Won't be selling it though. I Think offwidth's partner has one with a multitude more signatures than that though!
 Sherlock 07 Aug 2014
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:
> (In reply to Sandstone Stickman)
>
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> Early? I'll show you early - Pete Crew and Al Harris , Tremadoc Area from West Col Coastal Climbing Group, Grey cover, publish date 1970,

Ha! I'll raise you FRCC guides in brown cardboard covers from as early as 1936.You youngsters today.......

Jim Walton 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Erstwhile:

Co1in H (of this Parish) is by far the UKC expert on matters of the book, I am a mere begineer compared to him.

If your book was signed by Murray and had its dust jacket then it could go for £200. Without, then it might drop to ~£125. If you can find someone with the original dust wrapper and get a colour copy of it then the book with the new jacket is worth more than just without.
 malk 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Jim Walton:

interesting, so how much for Extreme Rock in fine/as new condition?
 jon 07 Aug 2014
In reply to malk:

Ha, cunning question... are you buying or selling!?
 Blue Straggler 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Amazon knows its true value

"Trade in Extreme Rock: Great British Rock Climbs for an Amazon Gift Card of up to £0.06, which you can then spend on millions of items across the site. "
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
>
> Amazon knows its true value
>
> "Trade in Extreme Rock: Great British Rock Climbs for an Amazon Gift Card of up to £0.06, which you can then spend on millions of items across the site. "

Value judgement by computer!
 Philip 08 Aug 2014
I bought a new copy from a French bookstore in about 2003 for £25ish, on behalf of my club, who's original copy had been stolen from the copyright library that hosts our club's library.

This was just when companies like abebooks were starting, and you could find rare books at great prices from overseas. I bought a lot of my new naturalist library that way.
 malk 08 Aug 2014
In reply to jon:
> Ha, cunning question... are you buying or selling!?

felt is selling. i got to handle it and can vouch for its fine+ condition. (i felt like marty reaching for nigel's foam green fender
250 seems a fair price compared to those inferior condition copies on amazon..
Post edited at 13:18
 felt 08 Aug 2014
In reply to malk:

Yes, how many of us these days have a personal book-dealer? 10% of the cut ain't half a bad deal either (I should really be looking at £275 to cover this). I know full well that Offwidth wants to do business, really, deep down, and that he's just playing the coy long game, trying to wear me down with the waiting, the affronts, &c, &c.
 felt 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Philip:

I could get you any NN you like. Good price, my friend, feel the quality (not the leather-bound ones).
 Quiddity 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

"Trade in Extreme Rock: Great British Rock Climbs for an Amazon Gift Card of up to £0.06, which you can then spend on millions of items across the site. "

I am not sure you can spend £0.06 on millions of items, presumably six at most and fewer if you factor in postage.
 Blue Straggler 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Quiddity:

> "Trade in Extreme Rock: Great British Rock Climbs for an Amazon Gift Card of up to £0.06, which you can then spend on millions of items across the site. "

> I am not sure you can spend £0.06 on millions of items, presumably six at most and fewer if you factor in postage.

It was a typo. They meant "millions of atoms"
 Null 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Jim Walton:

Many thanks, and a good idea to print a copy of the dust jacket, just for my own satisfaction since I'm not planning to sell.

Please excuse the delay - I was wandering around in drizzly fog in the Dolomites for a few days. What a miserable summer over here!
 Co1in H 20 Aug 2014

Thanks to Jim Walton for the mention and accolade. I'll take it!!!
The Murray mentioned might be worth £10 if it's in good nick. If it had no name in it and had a wrapper it might be worth £40 retail.A wrapper can be half the total value, depending on the book. I have a signed copy direct from a friend of Murray.
Don't get climbers to sign a book that they are not in! Unless it's a generic book, like Everest by Gillman.
To stick to the topic I bought Extreme Rock when it was first published at the special offer price of £24.95 in 1987. It is signed by the compilers, Ken Wilson and Bernard Newman, although Ken has always insisted that it is Bernard's book, not his. It's also signed by Mick Fowler, John Porter, Gary Gibson, John Sheard, Geoff Birtles, Martin Boysen and Rab Carrington, all of whom feature in the book. What it's worth doesn't matter as I wouldn't sell it, my children will!
Some folk don't like photocopy wrappers. I do, but mark them clearly on the flap that it is a photocopy so there is no confusion should a book get sold.
 johncook 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Co1in H:

I have Extreme Rock. Bought when it first appeared, from Tanky (He drove a hard bargain!). It is unsigned. I have read it many times and have no intention of selling it.
A book is only worth what others are willing to pay for it. I read it most years and still find it worth the time and effort. I will not sell it as it is worth more to me than what I will get for it.
In the USA they offer silly money for it!
 paul mitchell 21 Aug 2014

Great writing in that book.Something modern writers could aspire to.
Milburn's Welsh Rock,ditto.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...