UKC

Verdon guidebooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon Alden 04 Aug 2014
Hi everyone, am heading to the Verdon gorge in September with a couple of mates and wondered which would be the best guidebook to invest in? We'll probably be looking to start on some 6a/b single pitches but hope to take on some of the longer multipitches at the same grade too. Thanks.
 malx 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon Alden:

The rockfax has loads of mistakes, especially for the big routes in the gorge, but it provides an OK overview of the surrounding area. The local one for the gorge called something like "50 years and 500 routes" (but in french) and is very good with very clear accurate topos. Good to get the local guides as money is donated to the bolt funds too.
 walts4 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon Alden:

Buy the specific VERDON guide 2010 produced by the local guides, it is easy to use & has English sections so as too avoid confusion.

The other generic guide book to the Cote d'Azur (sure you know the name of it) which has a section covering the Verdon is no where near clear enough if you going to venture on to the multi pitch routes.
Its not the place to have any doubt about where the route goes in my opinion!

If you are going to stick to single pitch, go for the generic guide!
 Merlin 04 Aug 2014
In reply to malx:

We also had the Rockfax guide and found the mistakes difficult to interpret, especially where a number of routes of similar grades exist side by side, but the lines in the topo hadn't been drawn over the correct bit of rock face.
OP Simon Alden 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon Alden:

Sounds like the Verdon 2010 guide is the one to go far..ill get one of my mates to buy the 50 years etc.. Thanks for the advice
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Malx, Walts4 & Merlin:

I would be really grateful for any feedback on errors in the Cote d'Azur guide, we should be revising it next year, so that will be an opportunity to get rid of any mistakes. Oddly to-date, I don't think I have had a single e-mail about it.

Cheers

Chris

g1m147 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon Alden:

There's a small climbing shop in La Palud, you'll be able to get a latest guide there. Possibly the bar at the top right hand side of the main street may sell them too.

Have a good trip.
OP Simon Alden 05 Aug 2014
In reply to g1m147:

Thanks. Don't think I can wait until I get there to buy the guide! Definitely need one asap to drool over and plan adventures
 walts4 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Will send you mail Chris..
 g1m147 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon Alden:

At that grade make sure you do wide is love, for full Verdon exposure! Also search out a crag called Dent D'aire. Some great 3 pitch 6a+ on it.

Gary.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Aug 2014
In reply to walts4:
> Will send you mail Chris..

Hi Walt,
thanks for the feedback, I have replied to your e-mail though am having trouble sending it at the mo - on a cross channel ferry. Will do a.s.a.p.

Chris
Post edited at 14:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...