UKC

half dome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 colina 04 Aug 2014
ok so am booked into Yosemite in october .lookin to have a shot at half dome whilst im there.have looked at the website and apparently you need to apply for a permit on line 2 days prior to the ascent utilising the cables which are positioned each year .was wandering if anyone has gone thru the permit processs..doesn't look to clear on the website how it works .
wasn't intending on taking my laptop tbh with me so would it be possible to pick up a permit locally ??.
anyone had to obtain a permit for half dome recently??
 Offwidth 04 Aug 2014
In reply to colina:

You need to book the walk up half dome well in advance at peak times (and risk hitting shit stormy weather). No need to book if you tag on to someone going up Snakedyke (worst case look for partners on mountain project or supertopo).
 Mark Collins 04 Aug 2014
In reply to colina:

Depends when in October you're going. If you're there 2 days after the 13th October (Columbus Day) then the cables should be down (laid flat with slats and poles removed):
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm#CP_JUMP_135219
This means you don't need a permit (only required when cables are up):
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm
...and what they mean by up, is supported by poles with wooden slats between. The cables are there all year round. Hope that helps, I'm afraid I haven't done the permit process. However, if you're looking for an alternative walk without the permit situation I'd recommend up 4 mile trail to Glacier Point, along Panorama, and down John Muir, or if you need Dome action, maybe North Dome which is opposite Half Dome and I'm sure offers great views of Half, would be worthwhile.
altirando 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Mark Collins:

OH. I can only remember getting a general permit as I drove into the park, can't remember mentioning Half Dome specifically. This was in September though. Still a line of people hauling themselves up the cable. Bearing in mind the American attitudes to safety, I was a little surprised it was not a proper via ferrata. No way you could clip into the cable.
In reply to altirando:

> No way you could clip into the cable.

Well I did just that when scrambling Half Dome in October 2011. The cables were down and it worked just fine.
altirando 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Sir Stefan:

You mean the poles had been removed but the cable left lying against the rock? I do wonder how people with no experience of climbing rely on the friction of gardening gloves (left in a heap at the foot of the route) cope with the exposure. I was chatting to a guy on top who the previous year had climbed the face and found the cable had been removed the day before. Rather slippy on the polished stone!
 Offwidth 17 Aug 2014
In reply to altirando:

No cables on the even more exposed descent from Fairview.
In reply to altirando:

> You mean the poles had been removed but the cable left lying against the rock?

Yes, the cables were down, meaning they were left lying against the rock. They never remove the cables, as it would be a very cumbersome job. At the end og each season they collect the poles supporting the cables and store them somewhere along the route. Hence the phrase "the cables are down".

I agree, the path is slippy at places and I must admit I made good use of the cables both ways.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...