UKC

Triglav - Advice, Accomodation and Tips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Venture2099 04 Aug 2014
Hey all,

I am a fairly experienced hiker/scrambler (3 Peaks, Munros, Army Team Medic) with some limited climbing experience (Snowdonia). In late September I am hiking solo up Mount Triglav to raise money for charity.

Can anyone offer any tips on local accommodation, transport or general tips about the ascent?

After initially deciding to go without a harness I have decided to take my full Via Ferrata gear just in case.

Please fire away with advice if you have it on any aspect of what you know about Triglav.

Steve
 Darron 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Venture2099:

The VF section above the hut/hotel only takes about 45mins to the summit. If you are an experienced scrambler you should not need VF kit. As you say - if unsure take it.
 d_b 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Venture2099:

The camp site at Dovje makes a good base for Triglav if you are on a budget. The owners speak good english, and usually have a pretty good idea of what is going on re: snow conditions and huts.

http://campingkamne.com/

You can get a bus there from Ljubljana easily enough, and I believe that there are buses up the Vrata valley.

IIRC the mountain huts start to close down mid September, but I think it is partly weather dependent. Might be worth checking.
 deacondeacon 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Venture2099:
The popular Kredarici Dom is a bit of a monstrosity whereas we stayed in the Stanicev Dom which is a little more picturesque and cosier. If you want loud parties and boozing head for the Kredarici though.
Where are you starting from? there are pros and cons to different routes.
As for the ferratta gear, if you're happy on grade three scrambles then I wouldn't worry but otherwise take one, especially if you're carrying a fair bit of gear or are tired from doing it in one day.

It can have a bit of a Snowdon atmosphere with hundreds of people on the summit but I'm sure you'll have a great time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...