UKC

why do people think fruit juice is good for them?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 04 Aug 2014

generally its very sugary and acidic, definately bad for the teeth and probably the digestive system too, yet many people still think its healthy. why?
Post edited at 22:30
In reply to ow arm:

Depends on the juice. If you buy big name brands like Tropicana, where they pasteurise (lightly cook) the juice, store it for ages and then add hidden ingredients to make it taste how they want it to, then yes - it's sugary, acid water.

On the other hand, if you own a juicer and drink the juice immediately after processing then that is hardly the same thing. Then there is all the shades in between...
 nastyned 04 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

vitamins.
 Skol 04 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:
Zero alcohol content?
In reply to Skol:

> Zero alcohol content?

I dunno, I bought some juice from James White the other day and it tasted like it was on it's way to wine - in a good way.
 omerta 04 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

My dentist looked horrified when I told him I drank fresh fruit juice. But I suppose that some are worse than others; orange is going to go for your teeth (or the acid within) quicker than other types.
In reply to omerta:

How is juice any worse than a juicy orange? At least you don't get all the bits stuck in your teeth
 Dauphin 04 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Decades of advertising.

D
 hokkyokusei 04 Aug 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

It's the sheer amount. A glass of orange juice is like eating a bowl full of oranges.
In reply to ow arm:

Errrmmmm... because they like the taste, because it's refreshing, because it's nice with Vodka?
In reply to ow arm:

Ignorance, poor education and a propensity for people to believe any old crap they read on the internet, usually from themindunleashed.org website posted on Facebook by their 'friend'
 Morgan Woods 05 Aug 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> It's the sheer amount. A glass of orange juice is like eating a bowl full of oranges.

If that bowl had 3 oranges in it :p
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Yeah but the juice is down your neck in 2 seconds, whereas eating one orange means you have to chew it for a few minutes thus increasing the duration of acid to tooth contact.
 Bob Hughes 05 Aug 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

fibre is one of the good things about fruit & there's a lot less fibre in fruit juice than in the fruit itself. It's like stripping out the good bits to leave sugary acid.
 ByEek 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

They are good for you in that they contain lots of vitamins and minerals but pretty bad for you in that they are basically just sugar. I think someone told me there is about the same amount of sugar in an innocent smoothie as a chocolate bar!
OP The Potato 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ByEek:

thats probably true, plus we can get all the vits and mins as we would from fruit in vegetable juices, sadly its hard to find veg juice aside from V8 which is mostly tomato.
XXXX 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:
Why do people think they know what's best for other people? Why does everything we eat have to be healthy?
In reply to XXXX:
we are surrounded by people who advocate that this is best and this is good for you. Im always skeptical of this sort of advice as it goes through trends and changes every few years or decades, often contradicting previous advice. I just get so annoyed at TV ads (although I rarely watch it anyway) but its hard to avoid ads anywhere

To be fair to our bodies they do a great job of filtering out the junk and making do with a lack of certain elements, removing toxins and poisons, but as with anything too much over a period of time will take its toll.
Post edited at 10:14
 ByEek 05 Aug 2014
In reply to XXXX:

Remember the adverts prior to the 50's by doctors telling you that they smoked brand X? The food industry will tell you whatever they can to sell their products. Fruit isn't bad for you in principle, but it is full of sugar and sugar in large quantities is not good for you at all. And these days, there is sugar in everything.

Low fat Yogurt? High sugar.
Low fat anything - probably high in sugar.
Special K? Sugar.

You get the idea. The current trend in marketing is to persuade people to buy their low fat products which are laced in sugar. Naturally, the people who buy into these products also have problems losing weight if that is their goal because they crash once the sugar has been used up and end up eating more.

So you are right to be skeptical, but there is a massive problem with what is actually good for you or not.
 ByEek 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Interestingly, when you think about it, carbs are just sugar in disguise.
 Neil Williams 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Promotion and advertising?

Neil
 y2keable 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Why do people think fruit juice is bad for them?

There's no such thing as bad food, just bad quantities of food. The body needs a bit of everything, even (especially) fat and sugar.

I drink glass of mango juice with my Weetabix before I head to work, it tastes nice and the sugar gives me the energy I need until lunch time. I'll eat an extra Weetabix and drink a large glass of juice if I'm heading out for a climb or a MTB ride.

Mr. ByEek, 0% fat products work for slimmer's because where as they may have more sugar than you expected, fat is more calorific than carbs and when trying to lose weight, it's all about calories in-calories out...
In reply to Jayson Keable:

> Why do people think fruit juice is bad for them?

> There's no such thing as bad food, just bad quantities of food. The body needs a bit of everything, even (especially) fat and sugar.

What about doner kebab?

RomTheBear 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> generally its very sugary and acidic, definately bad for the teeth and probably the digestive system too, yet many people still think its healthy. why?

Drink some water after your done with your juice. That's the acidity in your mouth gone.
 ByEek 05 Aug 2014
In reply to mh554:

> What about doner kebab?

It is pretty hard to get fat by eating just fat. It is when you combine fat with sugar or carbs that bad things start to happen. So if you ate the meat and the salad but left the bread, you would probably be ok for a time....

Mmmmmm kebab!
In reply to ByEek:

> . So if you ate the meat and the salad but left the bread,

And one or more of your five a day!

Offwidth 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Because by your definition probably nothing is good for you? Fruit juice like any food is fine in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
 ByEek 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> in moderation as part of a balanced diet.

Totally agreed. But I think the confusion lies around what constitutes a "balanced diet" and how processed foods like breakfast cereal, low fat yoghurt, fruit juice, smoothies and other hidden-sugar-laden "healthy" nasties fit in.
> (In reply to ow arm)
>
>
> Mr. ByEek, 0% fat products work for slimmer's because where as they may have more sugar than you expected, fat is more calorific than carbs and when trying to lose weight, it's all about calories in-calories out...

true, but fat takes more energy and time to digest
 Morgan Woods 05 Aug 2014

>
> Mr. ByEek, 0% fat products work for slimmer's because where as they may have more sugar than you expected, fat is more calorific than carbs and when trying to lose weight, it's all about calories in-calories out...

What about the role of leptin?
 ByEek 05 Aug 2014

> it's all about calories in-calories out...

This is true for active energetic people like us, but isn't for the vast majority of people who do little or no exercise. Low fat products may indeed have less calorific energy, but sugar is readily absorbed and if there is already plenty of sugar in the system, turned into fat. Fat on the other hand is not absorbed as readily and your body is more likely to reject it. Sugar and fat together are the real killer as your body just gives up and takes it all. So a kebab with no bread is ok. A kebab with bread is not great, but a kebab with a large fizzy drink will see you heading to obesity very quickly.
 Offwidth 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Some breakfast cereals are better than others: you can get sugar free museli and oats and shreaded wheat that just have complex carbs.

I'm way more concerned about hidden sugar in food than the blindingly obvious sugar in orange juice (at about 450 calories a litre you would need to adore the stuff and have zero aversion to acid to get fat).
 Jimbo C 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

How big a deal is the acid anyway?

Let's say you eat some bread, some of the chewed up mush stays on your teeth, the enzymes in your saliva turn some of the starch into sugar and the bacteria in your mouth produce acid as they eat the sugar.

The acid in the fruit juice is only in contact with your teeth for the time it stays in your mouth.
 Jon Stewart 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> generally its very sugary and acidic, definately bad for the teeth and probably the digestive system too, yet many people still think its healthy. why?

Because it's made out of fruit.

Fruit = healthy but Fruit juice = bad. Seems a bit odd, doesn't it?

I do accept that there's a lot of sugar in it though.
 Mountain Llama 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm: Cos it tastes ok. Alcohol is bad for you but most drink it.

Siward 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Is fruit really that healthy?
I don't eat it much myself and don't feel any the worse for it. Vegetables, on the other hand, I eat loads of. I reckon veg is where it's at. Fruit is where it ain't.
 Jon Stewart 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Siward:

Where do tomatoes and courgettes fit in with this?
 nw 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> true, but fat takes more energy and time to digest

Yeah it's much more satisfying and fills you up longer. The amount of sugar that can be crammed into drinks etc is mental. Saying 'fat is more calorific than carbs' is fairly meaningless without any context i.e comparing actual portions of actual foods.
 ThunderCat 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Where do tomatoes and courgettes fit in with this?

I think technically a tomato is a fruit, but you never see it in a fruit salad do you. It's PC gone mad.
 Siward 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Oh they count as veg.

It's the acidic fruits you need to steal clear of...
 squarepeg 06 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm: call the police, i'm gonna eat a mango!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...