UKC

Quick drying routes on Lundy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Heading to Lundy in a few weeks time, was wondering if anybody knew which routes/areas are likely to dry out fastest after rain? I gather Devils Slide area is pretty reliable but anywhere else?

Cheers

Sam
 Max factor 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

the smaller crags without a lot of vegetation on top. So the battery (or whatever the crag with Diamond solitaire etc on it), Beaufort buttress and Arch zawn are all good. The two promontories under the lighthouse(alpine and sunset I think). Landing craft bay not bad either.

To be honest, most of the climbing season is late summer and with the warmth and a sea breeze it seems to dry pretty quick.
In reply to Max factor:

Okay cheers for the response!
Sam
 Al Evans 07 Aug 2014

We never made early starts on Lundy because the rock felt sort of soapy in the early morning.
 Dave Musgrove 08 Aug 2014
I just got back yesterday after a fantastic week. The first 3 days it rained heavily overnight and up to mid morning but we were climbing on dry rock by lunch time. We got soaked in a big storm on Tuedsay late afternoon but climbed a bone-dry Indy 500 the following morning.
I know its been a pretty dry summer so far so maybe we were lucky that there was little long-term seepage, but, as others have said the clean open buttresses do seem to dry very quickly. Some of the narrow zawns such as Deep Zawn can be slow to dry as I found out after abbing in on a visit a few years ago!
Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...