UKC

Bike recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbit123 06 Aug 2014
I'm looking at to do an iron man next year. My knowledge of the current range of bikes isn't great and I find myself going from one review to another a bit bamboozled whether to go for a tri specific or a road bike that I can stick aero bars onto.

So I wondered if people could fire some recommendations at me in the £1000- £1500 range.
Thanks in advance
 LastBoyScout 06 Aug 2014
In reply to climbit123:

Try and pick up a second hand tri bike on eBay or other private ads?

What other bikes do you already have? If nothing, then a road bike with clip-ons will give you more versatility for training. If you already have a half-decent road bike, then go for tri-specific.

Your other option, if you can afford it, is to get a road bike for now and get/swap to a tri-specific bike nearer the event.
 balmybaldwin 06 Aug 2014
In reply to climbit123:

If you are doing an iron man rather than a normal tri, comfort will be very important, so bike fit is probably what matters most.

In your position assuming you don't have any other bikes, I would go with the road bike with clip on bars as it will be much more confortable to train on, without a significant penalty (also in that price range you are loking at fairly ordinary TT bikes)

Have a look in the second hand market as you will get more for your money

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...