UKC

Best areas in lake district for leading

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Charlie_f 06 Aug 2014
I'm going with friends in september, anybody know of areas with a good range of routes that are bolted? Thanks
 eduardo 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Charlie_f:

Check out this amazing search feature with "Search by Climbing Type" set to "Sport" - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/index.html
 Scott Quinn 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Charlie_f:

What grades?
Your better off going trad climbing.
 eduardo 06 Aug 2014
In reply to scott quinn:

That would have been my other response.
 Ramblin dave 06 Aug 2014
In reply to eduardo:

> That would have been my other response.

Me too - going on a climbing trip to the Lakes and going bolt clipping seems a bit like going on a gastronomic trip to Naples and going for a curry - you can probably find something, but if that's where you want to go then there are better things to do, and if that's what you want to do then there are better places to go.
 tmawer 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Charlie_f:

Saint Bees perhaps has the largest grade range of bolted routes. Chapel Head Scar, but mostly pretty tough. Some stuff on slate around Coniston. As others have perhaps intimated, the Lakes is best for trad really. Yorkshire is not too far away and there's a lot more to go at there that's bolted.
 Scott Quinn 06 Aug 2014
In reply to tmawer:

Chapel is tough! Wimps like me would say under graded

The slate sport routes can be abit spicy...and if your not good on your feet your pretty much stuffed.

I'm assuming your a beginner giving your new profile - Might be wrong you could be NAILS.

As tmawer suggests, Yorkshire is where its at for sport climbing up this way get yourself there if you can giggleswick and robin proctors are close for day trips from the lakes if your staying here.
 Pagan 06 Aug 2014
In reply to scott quinn:

> Chapel is tough! Wimps like me would say under graded

The grading in the 6s at Chapel is some of the worst I've encountered anywhere - something like Interstellar Overdrive would be solid 7a on most sport crags. Fortunately it sorts itself out once you're into the 7s and there's even the odd soft touch out there if you look...
 Scott Quinn 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Pagan:

Noticed this myself recently chapels slowly growing on me especially for evening outings, I've always considered 6c the sport climbers hvs....such a mixed bag!

& i agree 7a in spain or yorkshire!

Scott Quinn 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Charlie_f:

have a look here if you decide on going to yorkshire to clip some bolts while your up.

http://www.theleedswall.co.uk/cms/index.php/new-routes/downloads

hope you get something done!
 Billhook 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Charlie_f:

Why do you assume leading equates to bolted routes?
 Bob 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

I think he ran out of space for the thread title.
 PPPatrick 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Charlie_f:

3/10 for a slightly imaginative slant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...