UKC

Road bike pumps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Malt_Loaf 07 Aug 2014
Hi All,

Any recommendations for a decent, budget bike pump (track style) that'll get my tires up to 110-120 psi efficiently? Sick of paying for cheap ones and them just not working.

Cheers,

ML.
 Enty 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Decathlon do one for about 29€. I've had two in the bike room for over 5 years and they work fine.
When anyone ever brings a top end pump I use them to sort of calibrate the pressure and they are always the same.
You can also buy new rubbers for the end.

E
 thedatastream 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

I'm on a Topeak Joe Blow Sport 2 which is about 2 years old and going strong. Nice dual head to do schraeder (sp?) and presta valve types without faffing round with adaptors
 Bob 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

I've a Top-Peak one (unsure of model but could be Joe Blow) which is fine for the job. Not sure of the accuracy of the gauge on it though as I've a Top Peak digital meter which consistently shows pressures as being 10% less than the gauge on the pump. One or possibly both are wrong!
 LastBoyScout 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

ToPeak Joe Blow sprint is my choice of track pump. Had one for about 10 years now.

I have once had to change the seal, but that's it.

Pressure gauge not terribly accurate, but my thumb works fine
 Enty 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Bob:

I had the opposite problem with the gauge on my Joe Blow showing it was under inflating.
When I put 7 bar in (according to the gauge) on the Blow my Decathlon pump was showing 8 - quite a difference.
Like I said, I always like to check my Decathlon pumps against other pumps.

E
 Bob 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:

That's the same as what I'm seeing: 100psi on the pump; 85-90 on the guage.

It actually only really matters on my mountain bike: running 30psi back and 27 or so front then 10% (possibly 15%) makes a big difference in how the bike handles and avoids pinch flats or with tubeless burping off the rim. Once you know what a given or desired pressure feels like either by squeezing the tyre (talking MTB low pressure here) or pressing down on the wheel then that's as good a guide as you need.
 wilkesley 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

I got one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0010VPLZ2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie...

about a year ago. Don't know how accurate the gauge is, but pumps up to 120psi OK. Only minor complaint is that the hose isn't very long.
OP Malt_Loaf 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Thanks for all the responses guys! WIll check out the suggestions.

ML
 Siward 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

This:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-Classic-Floor-Drive-Pump_52600.htm

is what I use. High pressures are easy and the dial is big and easy to read.
Replaceable parts too for when it gets very old.
 sleavesley 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Whilst not what you asked for, I have this for when I ride just in case of punctures.
Just need to pump a tyre up from flat and write how many times you pumped it to get your desired PSI and write it on the pump or somewhere else useful.
Goes up to 120 PSI.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressure-drive-mini-abs-pump-small/
 Strachan 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Another vote for joe blow.
 Womble 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

I have a Topeak road morph G pump. Its great as it pumps really efficiently like a track pump but you can carry it round.

Only thing is I now have 2

You can have one for £20
OP Malt_Loaf 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Thanks for the suggestions- grabbed a joe blow from halfords because it was easy to get too. seems to do the trick.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...