UKC

iPhone app to import pre-planned .gpx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 superturbo 07 Aug 2014
or similar for turn by turn navigation with voice commands - with downloadable maps..

Can anyone suggest an effective app? I've tried to google apps that utilise the OSM network, but the only one I've found that could be remotely effective seems to be the "be-on-road" app. This does not seem to have the capability to download preplanned routes.

Thanks for any help
 Stig 27 Aug 2014
In reply to WillBroad:

Ride with gps does this. You have to pay to get the turn by turn functionality though.
 TimB 28 Aug 2014
In reply to WillBroad:
Viewranger uses OSM maps, can import gpx files and I believe that it will beep at you if you go off route (or if you approach a pre-set waypoint), but I've not tried following pre-planned routes this way.

like this: http://support.viewranger.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=107
Post edited at 08:46
 Marek 28 Aug 2014
In reply to TimB:

> Viewranger uses OSM maps, can import gpx files and I believe that it will beep at you if you go off route (or if you approach a pre-set waypoint), but I've not tried following pre-planned routes this way.

I use VR - it works well, up to a point.
The problem is that if you want to use the 'off-route' alarm, then the GPX route better follow the curves of the road which means you have to have waypoints on bends. But that means that if you enable the waypoint alarm you get it going off on each bend as well as at junctions. I've figured out a way round this (process GPX with script to turn off proximity alarm on non-junction waypoints) but it's a bit of a hassle to set up, so I only use it if I really need it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...