UKC

Roku 3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MtnGeekUK 07 Aug 2014
Looking to get one of these bad boys:

https://www.roku.com/uk/what-is-roku

(Roku 3)

Anyone got one?
Anyone seen one at a good price (less than £99)?
BrumSparky 08 Aug 2014
In reply to MtnGeekUK:
Careful with this link, it's just killed my 'puter.
 Mad Tommy 08 Aug 2014
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

I've got the more basic Roku version, which won't do HD. Also, I don't use it very much, since purchasing a proper 'smart' tv. However, it does do what it's supposed to very well: provides access to all the catch-up tv channels plus others, access to many of the subscription channels (netflix, etc) and works as a Sky Go box. It has a very good wireless sensitivity, and shows no lag when live streaming. If you are looking for a way to upgrade a non-smart TV, or access Sky Go, it's excellent.
OP MtnGeekUK 08 Aug 2014
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Sorry the link killed your 'puter - seems fine to me and it's a legit place!

We don't have a smart TV and have been using an xBox360 for our telly watching, but it's pretty noisy and not exactly energy efficient!

Got a NowTV box last week, which is basically a rebranded Roku LT, but 'cos it's from (money grabbing bas****s) Sky, it's locked down to use their services only, so no Netflix. (I understand it, the box is only a tenner, but still...)

This has now gone, so still looking to replace. Just trying to decide if the quoted "faster processor = less navigation lag" of the Roku 3 is worth the extra 40 odd quid on top of the Roku 2? (not bothered on the HD only, as the Roku 2 has HDMI out anyway...)
 mattrm 08 Aug 2014
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

You know you can hack the Now TV box don't you?

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/av-distribution/now-tv-10-minute-hack-10-wir...

Looks really easy. So I'd get it back if you can!

But yeah, they're good.
OP MtnGeekUK 08 Aug 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Yep.

Apart from Netflix is no longer supported in plex. Any notes / instructions are referring to old versions, which are unstable.

Some others have gone to some EXTREME levels of geekiness to try and directly hack it, without success; hence why I'm switching...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...