UKC

Woman's road bikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 birdie num num 08 Aug 2014
Just wondering how many women on here would choose a female geometry frame over a standard bike frame and why?
Isn't female specific geometry just a throwback from the days when folk thought that women all went riding dressed like Mary Poppins, or am I missing something?
 The New NickB 08 Aug 2014
In reply to birdie num num:

It is really about having more frame options, women and men are on average slightly different shapes.

My girlfriend rides a women specific bike, although you would not know from looking at it. She discounted a number of brands because they insisted on 'girly' colours and patterns for femLe specific models.
 JLS 08 Aug 2014
I don't think we'd want to have Mrs Num Num riding around on a bike with twitchy race geometry. Those steep head tubes and tight coasters really need the strength of a manly man to control safely. You need to get her a nice relaxed touring set-up. One that will steer its self should she become distracted by the display of bonnets in the milliner's window.
Post edited at 10:03
 mike123 08 Aug 2014
In reply to birdie num num: is it for mrs num num ? Might be some useful advice on this blog ?

http://mikabike.blogspot.co.uk
 Baron Weasel 08 Aug 2014

Mrs Weasel has a men's geometry bike, although we did swap the saddle for a ladies specific one... In order to get the right size she did have to get her arse measured, much to the embarrassment of her and the guy in the shop. I was just pleased she was at the tidy end of the range.
In reply to The New NickB:

That was partly the reason for the question, was asked some advice about a particular bike.
However thought they were asking about the Specialized Roubaix, but think now it might have been Specialized Ruby. The Ruby has a raked top tube and comes in metallic white with pink handlebars and a triple chain ring. Why would any woman cyclist want to buy that? The Roubaix looks to be quite a good bike for the money.
 Mike Stretford 08 Aug 2014
In reply to birdie num num: Would Mrs Num Num not like a kinky recumbent?

http://bicycledesign.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Mohsen-Saleh-recumbent-...
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Mrs Num Num had a problem trying to fit her labia comfortably on her bike seat. The seat seemed to disappear whichever way she sat.
 Baron Weasel 08 Aug 2014

You reminded me of the IT Bike: youtube.com/watch?v=7RLUP2lLsVg&
 AlisonSmiles 08 Aug 2014

I have standard geometry frames for three of my bikes - road bike, cross bike, hard tail. I get away with it because I'm not standard in terms of women's geometry. I have a longer back to leg length proportion than some women so I benefit from the length of the reach from saddle to handlebars that a man's small bike frame gives.

I do have a female informed second hard tail which works because it has a longer stem on it, wide handlebars and the saddle is on a layback seat post as far back as it can be positioned.

I still ride dressed as Mary Poppins though.
 JLS 08 Aug 2014
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

>"I still ride dressed as Mary Poppins though."

The brolly always useful for the tail winds. Must be a pain hanging around waiting for the wind to change.
 AlisonSmiles 08 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

I admit the wonder woman billowing cape is a whole lot more fun although tiaras and bike helmets are not compatible.
 The Potato 08 Aug 2014

pretty much any frame will do, my wife has a WSD bike but probably wouldnt be that fussed about getting one specifically again. So long as the frame size is correct and you get a suitable saddle anything will do.
Unless you want it in pink or lilac etc
 rlines 08 Aug 2014

http://www.julianabicycles.com/en/us

They don't do road bikes as far as I know, but this is quite an interesting development - a bike company (suspiciously similar to Santacruz) that only makes women specific bikes.
 coinneach 08 Aug 2014

I was under the impression that mrs mum num WAS a bike.
 Bob Hughes 08 Aug 2014
In reply to rlines:

> They don't do road bikes as far as I know, but this is quite an interesting development - a bike company (suspiciously similar to Santacruz) that only makes women specific bikes.

not that suspicious

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/es/us/news/411
 CarolineMc 08 Aug 2014

I started on a men's medium roadie but my back was in bits after just an hour or two cos it didn't fit. My new roadie is women's specific and fits a treat... I have longer legs than back and a shorter reach so the different geometry works for me.

So if Mrs Num Num is a typical lady then it'll be worth doing the research. But if she's manshaped then I guess you can avoid the pink accents!
Co:
In reply to coinneach:

The varied folk that she has notched up over the years know her fondly as a hybrid
andymac 08 Aug 2014

> Mrs Num Num had a problem trying to fit her labia comfortably on her bike seat. The seat seemed to disappear whichever way she sat.

You could make a seat out of a bit of old railway sleeper?

Saying that ; she could get a nasty skelf

Num Num's idea of bliss would be riding out in a peloton of ladies dressed as Mary Poppins and with baskets on their bikes filled with sumptuous picnic treats and ale.
 Yanis Nayu 08 Aug 2014
> (In reply to Baron Weasel)
>
> Mrs Num Num had a problem trying to fit her labia comfortably on her bike seat. The seat seemed to disappear whichever way she sat.

Built-in saddlebags then?
 sbc_10 09 Aug 2014
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

> Built-in saddlebags then?

...or a handy set of leathery chammys to clean any stains off the frame.
 The New NickB 09 Aug 2014

> I still ride dressed as Mary Poppins though.

I think Rapha do a Dick Van Dyke range for the well groomed twot about town!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...