UKC

Bristley Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevethomas 09 Aug 2014
There has been a big rock fall from the very top of the gully. The top is now very loose and dirty. You are warned.
In reply to stevethomas: Which gully was it that had the rock fall?
 Glyno 09 Aug 2014
In reply to stevethomas:

ooh, when did it happen? I was watching a Sea King hovering above for a while late Thursday afternoon. Couldn't see much though from Senior's Ridge.
In reply to stevethomas:

The last time I went up Bristly Ridge (I always go up Dexter Gully, the one on the right)a couple of months ago the top of the gully was in a very poor state with lots of shattered rock and a large chockstone that looked extremely dodgy. I was very glad to get past it and vowed not to climb that gully again!
In reply to stevethomas: The SeaKing was taking people off a gully, but there's no mention of a rockfall at the time:

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2014/08/07/couple-winched-to-safety-after-...
 Trangia 09 Aug 2014
In reply to stevethomas:

That loose rock at the top of the right fork to the gully has been unstable for decades, and I've warned about it in the past on this forum. It was only a matter of time before it came away - hopefully without some poor bugger pulling on it. If it's gone it will be a good thing, so long as it hasn't left the surrounding area unstable. It may also have made the scramble harder but safer.

On this subject I've wondered about the ethic of trundling unstable/dangerous holds/rocks from popular routes? (That's assuming, of course, that there aren't people below you.)
 Billhook 09 Aug 2014
In reply to stevethomas:

Terrible danger. Lets concrete everything in place!!
In reply to Trangia:

>
> On this subject I've wondered about the ethic of trundling unstable/dangerous holds/rocks from popular routes? (That's assuming, of course, that there aren't people below you.)

I don't think there's any real ethics other than the ethical quandary you might face if you find out someone had been hurt by something you could have potentially prevented. I'm of the persuasion that if it's likely to cause harm, it probably will eventually so would rather trundle something (safely) than face the above dilemma.
 JIMBO 09 Aug 2014
In reply to Glyno:

I was walking below when the two shouted for help. They had a whistle at least but didn't appear to have a rope. They looked well off route trying a gully much further up the slope beyond the normal start... approximately half way along the main ridge section.
 JasonV 18 Aug 2014
In reply to stevethomas: I was up there yesterday. The whole thing is in a bit of a state but can be climbed through. Just need to take care with the loose stuff and all the debris.
In reply to stevethomas:

I went up Bristly today and used Sinister Gully (in the guide book) which is absolutely fine.

The chossy one, which has seen the rock fall is, as I suspected, 'Dexter' out on the right hand side.
 phja 19 Aug 2014
In reply to stevethomas:

I've got the scrambles and easy climbs In snowdonia by grey stone books. It looks to me on the picture that the book is suggesting going up Dexter rather than sinister gully. Can anyone confirm this as am planning on doing this for the first time next week.

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...