UKC

GPS Device

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zarathustra 09 Aug 2014
Hi.

I'm considering purchasing a GPS device.

Although I'm fairly confident with the traditional methods, I'm looking to improve. I feel a GPS device would allow me to accurately pinpoint contour lines to help develop my understanding.

Having done some searching, they look pretty expensive. Can anybody recommend one to me? Alternatively, I have an iPhone. Is there an app that has the features that I'm after?

Thanks.
In reply to zarathustra:

viewranger for phone would be adequate but most dedicated GPS devices are waterproof.
 DancingOnRock 09 Aug 2014
In reply to zarathustra:

GPS2GRID just simply gives the grid reference. On a separate page you can view a satellite image with grid overlay if you want.
 nutme 11 Aug 2014
In reply to zarathustra:
For last few year I'm just walking with waterproof phones which has good GPS antennas.

At the moment I'm using Casio G'zOne CA-201L which is branded as Casio Commando in States. But the american version only works in CDMA networks. In UK it won't connect to any mobile network at all, as all local ones are working in GSM frequencies 900, 1800 and 2100.

A proper smartphone is just so much ahead of Garmin handhelds nowadays. You can get same maps on them as Garmin or Magilan uses. Plus many more or few different maps at same time. Satellites photos, variety of other applications like grid to coordinates and vice versa. Screens are much better as well. And all the accessories like extra batteries and mounts much cheaper thank Garmin ones.

iPhone is really bad choice because it has very poor GPS receiver in it, small battery, which can not be changed and it's afraid of water and dust.

At the moment where's new phone on the market which was announced just weeks ago "Kyocera Brigadier". It may become an amazing option for hiking and mountaineering.
Post edited at 20:50
 Carolyn 11 Aug 2014
In reply to nutme:

However, if you've already got an iPhone, in all likelihood it'll be fine for starters. My iPhone's spent many hours on the hill without problems - stick it in a waterproof case (simple Ortleib waterproof bag here) and it's fine. You can always recharge it from an external battery. And, despite theoretical concerns about poor quality GPS receiver, I've always found it surprisingly good around the Lakes. Not the best gadget for the job, but perfectly useable if that's what you've got.

In reply to the OP:

Viewranger or Memory Map both work fine, although you'll need to purchase maps (or load them on through iTunes if you already own them on CD-ROM, etc). I'm not sure if there are ways to get free maps downloaded to the phone.

I used my iPhone recently when I took someone out to practice micro nav at night, and yes, it's a fantastic aid to improving your navigation - stops you talking yourself into being in the "right" place - although clearly you do also need to question if the GPS is giving you the correct position.
needvert 12 Aug 2014
 Ander 12 Aug 2014
In reply to zarathustra:

Zara- I question your originl premise. I'm not convinced a GPS device would encourage you to improve your map skills. A GPS won't pinpoint a countour line, for example.

My observation is that gps devices can be used instead of developing good map reading technique. Think of it as a crutch that you will rely on, which means that you never get strong without the crutch.

I can understand that if you are a bit intimidated by map reading and naviagtion (I was), in which case the gps might be useful to have in the bottom of your bag for those moments when you get lost (or think you might be lost!). Here it's more of a safety net, rather than a crutch.

But overall, I'm not too convinced that relying on a GPS is the way to develop good navigation skills. Get out there with the map and compass

A bit of IT that are good to help develop an understanding of countour lines- Google Earth. Get a map, find some interesting map features and then look at the same features on google earth- Ben Nevis is a good mountain for that, though any hilly area would do. You can then begin to wrap your head round how the picture on the map relates to the features on the ground.

And it won't cost a penny!
 cranc 12 Aug 2014
In reply to zarathustra:

I have used viewranger on my iphone loads of times. It is fantastic!
 Carolyn 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Ander:

> Zara- I question your originl premise. I'm not convinced a GPS device would encourage you to improve your map skills. A GPS won't pinpoint a countour line, for example.

I'd agree that a GPS isn't a substitute for learning how to read a map, but I'd say it can certainly help. It might not "pinpoint a contour line" - but it will pinpoint where you are on the map, and so allow you to relate what you see on the map to what you see on the ground - with reasonable confidence that you're looking at the right part of the map! I've seen plenty of people using just map and compass convince themselves they're on an entirely different part of the map to they really are, and that does little to improve map interpretation skills....

GPS with mapping is far more use for this than the "older" ones that just show a grid reference IME. And I'd certainly agree you need to make the effort to navigate without it sometimes, too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...