UKC

North Wales Climbing when it's raining?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Morris 09 Aug 2014
Spending a couple of weeks in North Wales (Snowdonia) from Monday 11th Aug, hoping to get some low grade (V Diff) trad climbing in, but weather forecast for the area looks very wet for the first week. Any ideas of where might be still climbable at this level in wetter weather, or do I find something else to do?!
 JamButty 09 Aug 2014
In reply to MorrisRodham:

Do a search on some older threads - Lockwoods Chimney, Chasm Route, Devils Kitchen, Monolith Crack, Idwal Ordinary all provide good entertainment

Matt Smith 09 Aug 2014

Had similar problems in the past. You could try the ludicrous Lockwoods Chimney, apparently its better in the rain, graded D / VD or you could always have a look around the slate mines. Snakes and Ladders is graded HVS but if you miss out the chain at the start you should be fine.

Brass Nipples 09 Aug 2014

Amphitheatre buttress. Left hand side of little Tryfan. Milestone buttress. Carnedd Filiast white slabs routes to right and below of main slabs.

rusty8850 10 Aug 2014

Clogwyn yr Oen at the Moelwyns is ok if a bit wet.
 veteye 10 Aug 2014

Sub-Cneifon Arrete/Rib.I've done it in big boots when it was part covered in ice.

Lockwood's chimney is more of a squirm and should be done in old clothes.Look on previous threads for how to get there as identifying the start can take as long as the climb if you are not careful.Worth doing just for the kudos!Lovely view when you come out of the top.It reminded me of that underground route on Skye which is bloody good fun.

What about the diff on Bochlwyd Buttress,Arete and Slab.
OP Morris 10 Aug 2014

Thanks everyone for replies so far. Very helpful and much appreciated!
 ianstevens 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Matt Smith:

> Lockwoods Chimney, apparently its better in the rain

It's not, if you do it in the wet its just not a "waste" of a sunny day.

Africa Rib on Craig y Clipiau goes in the rain - about the only time I've ever gone climbing in the rain deliberately and it's actually been good fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...