UKC

Uploading Excel file into logbook?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cymjt 10 Aug 2014
Hi,

First of all, I'm not entirely sure if this is the right forum to be posting in, but it can't be that far off...

I've been keeping track of my climbing/mountaineering exploits via an excel file for a good few years now.

Having only recently become a member of UKC, I've discovered that the logbooks are a superb feature. I've added a few of my recent routes, but I wondered if anybody knows of a slick and easy way to upload an excel file of routes into my UKC logbook?

Thanks!
OP cymjt 11 Aug 2014
In reply to cymjt:

Anybody?
 remus Global Crag Moderator 11 Aug 2014
In reply to cymjt:

I don't think such a feature exists, and I think it is unlikely to exist in the near future.

The basic problem is that the names you have given crags and routes in your excel file are going to be a little (or in some cases a lot) different to the names in the UKC database, thus any bulk upload of climbs will require a long and tedious mapping exercise.

It would probably be possible for the UKC team to build some tools to ease the pain inherent in this process, but given that it would most likely be quite a lot of work for a feature that won't get used very often and will never be a very good piece of functionality Id be surprised if they're planning on investing any time in it.
OP cymjt 11 Aug 2014
In reply to remus:

Hmmm, a good point, I hadn't thought of that!

I did notice earlier today that you can add an excel file of climbs not in the logbooks system currently though, so it can't be that different, can it?

Maybe I'll need to email the UKC team and see if they can help...
In reply to cymjt:

It's very different I'm afraid. When you upload a file containing new routes there's no mapping required. The new climbs just get added to the database for that particular crag.

remus is right in that I haven't got time to implement this feature I'm afraid. Too much work for probably less than 10 uses a year.

The easiest way to add your climbs from your excel logbook would be to sort them via crag in Excel. Then go to the crag on UKC and tick the ones you've done and hit the Add to Logbook button at the bottom. You can fill in some common details on the next page, then click on Show full form and you can tweak each one with the correct date, climbing partner and style.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...