UKC

Canon G16 or equivalent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 11 Aug 2014
Hello all,

As per my other thread, my Canon G9 has bitten the dust. Our insurance has paid out for the 'new' equivalent, the G16, which looks good to me - but are there any other similar cameras I should be considering? I know the G series isn't the smallest or lightest, but the G9 suited me fine - my other cameras are old metal SLRs and TLRs so 'light' and 'non-bulky' are somewhat alien concepts... The G16 looks like it performs much better in low light than the G9 did, but other than that I haven't had a proper look.

Anyone care to offer any use-based guidance?
 Blue Straggler 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Not quite answering your question really, but are they supplying a G16 or supplying the monetary value of one, for you to do with as you wish?
OP Tall Clare 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

The money.
 Bob Hughes 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

my mate has just bought the latest Lumix LX7 (I think - it is LX something I just can't remember the number) - very nice indeed. Smaller than the Canon
 Blue Straggler 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Generic suggestion - a high-end CSC. That way, lens damage won't kill the whole camera. And it is easier to clean the sensor
 ChrisJD 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Sony RX100 Mk II
 rif 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Nearest equivalent is probably the Fuji X20: roughly the same price as G16, very good optical viewfinder, even bigger sensor than G16 (so excellent low light images), but shorter maximum zoom (28-112 equivalent instead of 28-140). I've had one for nearly a year and like it, but I've never owned a Canon G series camera (just handled one in a shop last year when deciding what to buy) so can't offer a user comparison.

IM 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Tall Clare: for about the same price you could go for a canon G1X - a bit bigger and heavier [which i like] than the G16 but has a sensor 4x's the size [and only slightly smaller then the aps-c sensor you get in lots of slr's] and the image quality is fantastic. it is built like a tank and great for taking up the hills/winter climbing etc. rubbish macro tho, if that is an issue. a mark 2 version is out now but that is much more expensive.
OP Tall Clare 12 Aug 2014
In reply to mac fae stirling:

Thanks for this - I'll have a look at it, along with the other suggestions. I do use the macro on the G9 quite a bit, so that's definitely something to take into consideration. One issue is that unfortunately I don't have any spare money to spend, so whatever I got would have to match what the insurance have paid out.
 kevin stephens 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have replaced me broken G10 with a G15 (which is very similar to G16)

The G16 has less pixels hence much less noise from the sensor and better image quality. Other benefits (for me) are good optical viewfinder with dioptre adjustment to avoid me having to use glasses to see the screen, simple exposure compensation dial (great for backlight and snow) and nice video. I use it much more than my DSLR due to easy to carry in mountains especially for climbing and skiing. If I was purely interested in mountain landscape I would be tempted by the G1x. Still compact compared to DSLR but a little to bulky for climbing and skiing - really good lens ad much larger sensor.
 mary 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:
I have loved the macro on my Cannons, I have a G10 it has bad lens cover scratches. Friends have newer models and all with the same problem. It is worth checking out the reviews on the lens cover scratching the lens which has been a big and constant problem with all G's.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53935299 some here. It has been a constant problem that Cannon have/ had not addressed. I do not know if they have at last solved it.

M
Post edited at 22:50
OP Tall Clare 12 Aug 2014
In reply to mary:

That's interesting to hear - it's not something I experienced with my G9 (though another G9 issue I encountered with another one was a stuck lens that had to be forced back in in a slightly terrifying moment of DIY repair...)

After rummaging around and doing some comparisons online, I've ordered a G16, which, with any luck, will arrive before I head off on my next jaunt later this week...
 butteredfrog 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Love my G15, not noticed any lens cover issues yet.
OP Tall Clare 27 Aug 2014

The G16 arrived yesterday afternoon. It seems things have moved on a bit since the G9 (who knew...) Ay carumba! It even embeds copyright information in the images, and the macro on it is nuts. Looking forward to figuring out how to get the most out of it.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Let us know how you get on with it. I'm considering getting one as my compact.
Slugain Howff 27 Aug 2014
In reply to mary:

> I have loved the macro on my Cannons, I have a G10 it has bad lens cover scratches.

Me too - had to junk my G10 as a result.

S

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...