UKC

Suggest an East Facing Crag in Lakes Please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Iain(2010) 11 Aug 2014
Have a late afternoon trip to the Lakes sorted for Tuesday 12th.
Given the forecast and winds coming from the West was thinking about looking for a crag that would be East facing and with a range of routes, preferably multi pitch, so that a route could be selected to reflect the wetness/weather.
Looking for route grade range between V.Diff and HVS. If wet would select lower range.
Any suggestions welcome from those that know the area.
Cheers.
 Bob 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Iain(2010):

Perhaps the obvious one would be Dow Crag but it can be cool (cold) up there and I wouldn't like to be climbing there if it's damp. Esk Buttress might be worth a shot though the easiest routes are HS. Third option, which is closer to single pitch would be Gowther Crag in Swindale.
 GrahamUney 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Iain(2010):

Try Grey Crag above Buttermere. Lovely climbing at a range of grades. Faces SE, and some of the low grade routes are doable in the wet too.
 tmawer 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Iain(2010):

Eagle Crag Grisedale is another option.
In reply to Bob:

Gouther - East facing? -- must have been some pretty severe seismic activity since I lived in the Penrith area. Always thought of it as a crag that caught the evening sun.

On the other hand, Gowbarrow above Ullswater faces SE.

For east facing there's always Raven Crag Thirlmere and Goat Crag in Borrowdale.
 Carolyn 11 Aug 2014
In reply to GrahamUney:

Grey Crag was my first thought - whilst it's fairly high (and so might get some of the wind) it has some good easy routes, and doesn't take much drainage - so there should be something that's OK to climb. It's a fair walk in, though.
 Bob 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

Actually it faces north!

Don't think there's much at VDiff on either Raven Thirlmere or Goat Crag.
 Michael Gordon 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Iain(2010):

East Buttress, Scafell
In reply to Iain(2010):

Raven Crag Walthwaite (near Langdale). 10 mins from the road and quick to dry - but having said that it doesn't look like it'll get much chance in the next few days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...