UKC

Best sub-100 quid digital compact?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My trusty finepix f100fd has finally given up the ghost, just before I go on holiday - so not enough time to get an eBay replacement (this was the third second-hand one I've had, and they've all gone in the sensor and lens mechanisms).

I was holding out for the lumix lx7 for Xmas, especially as the lx8 is due out and I was hoping the 7 would take a price tumble. But I can't really afford to go for one right now, and by the end of the week I'll be in the Pyrenees, on some photogenic multi-pitch.

So I need a cheap interim compact, which won't be a limiting factor on my extremely rudimentary photography skills, preferably under a hundred quid. Any suggestions?

Martin
5tormin' 11 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

Try ebay just now panasonic tz 7 great price!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

Not sure where you will be in the Pyrenees, but a quick visit to Andorra would likely get you a lot more camera for your £100 - prices can be up to 40% lower than the UK,

Chris
In reply to 5tormin':

Um, thanks. The point of the thread was that I don't have time to wait for a second-hand ebay replacement, so need a cheapish new one. Are you by any chance selling one on eBay at the moment?

Martin
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Not sure the savings will justify the day queueing to get through Ax, Chris! Would leave it till I get down there, but the options around Foix - Tarascon are a bit limited.

Martin
 Blue Straggler 12 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

In your situation, I would simply look at Currys and John Lewis websites, see what catches your eye, quickly check some independent reviews (and look at flickr groups for shortlisted cameras to convince yourself they take good pics), and go and get one.

e.g. http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-lumix-dmc-sz3-digital-camera-hd-720p-16-... looks good, but further Googling found a Guardian review which mentions a Samsung model maybe being a better buy, so depending upon time constraints I would then go and read that review.
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I think we're on the same page there - but that's kind of why I'm asking for opinions on here. I've waded through review after conflicting review, desperately trying to avoid being the guy who bought THAT camera by mistake, but what I was really hoping for was a considered opinion from one of the proper photographers on here.

Which is probably pointless, because none of the proper photographers on here would dream of buying a camera for less than a hundred quid. So it's just people like me, who buy a camera, get used to it and have absolutely no idea whether it's any good or not. But recommend it anyway. Which is why I've bought six Fujis in a row.

And if I dud buy a great camera, I'd just put it on auto anyway.

I think I'll just go to Argos and pick one at random.

Martin
In reply to maisie:
> what I was really hoping for was a considered opinion from one of the proper photographers on here.

> Which is probably pointless, because none of the proper photographers on here would dream of buying a camera for less than a hundred quid.

Spot on. The usual answer on here, from (ahem) "proper" photographers, regarding lower-end compacts, is "anything will be OK, just don't expect dSLR quality" duuuuh
In reply to maisie:

Just don;t get the Fuji XF1. Insanely fiddly to turn on.
 dek 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

The camera repair shoppe near me was selling get those Fuji Finepix compacts for 70 quidish when I was last in. The model was the f..something.. he'd got a job lot from Fuji, very impressive lens and zoom range.the prints looked very good!
5tormin' 12 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

No Martin,just a suggestion for a buy it now option,you could always pay the extra postage for 24hr delivery and still be well under your £100 budget.
In reply to 5tormin':

Ah, fair enough - I may have shot that bolt, however. But is it any good?

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...