UKC

SPA Home Paper help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon_87 11 Aug 2014
Started doing a home paper I have for my SPA, I was looking for some names of places you could take a group to abseil and in a different location boulder.

Not looking for the work to be done for me, just a few names of places I can research.

It would be around the Hope Valley area.

I was thinking Roaches for both, it's a crag I've visited and for me personally I would have a better idea of stuff to do, but would there be somewhere closer?

A decent quarry to abseil off or an outcrop of rocks?

Thanks
 Si Witcher 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon_87:

Top trolling. How about getting a map and climbing guidebook to the Hope valley area? or even using the ukc "Find Crags" tool? You'll probably need a bit more initiative and knowledge before you present yourself for assessment. The Roaches is about as far away from the Hope valley as you can get, while still being in the Peak.
In reply to Simon_87:

Sounds like a Joby paper...!
 bpmclimb 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon_87:

There's various crags you could use (including the Roaches, perhaps), but at all of them, for a group abseil, you have to choose your exact site very carefully. Therefore, they almost certainly want you to be more specific than just giving crag names - they want you to show that you've taken the usual parameters into consideration. Namely, bomber anchors (and high anchors if available for friendly take-off), minimum of ledges on the way down, safe area for waiting abseilers, not down a popular/starred route or boulder problem. It sounds to me like you need to get down to your local crags and find some suitable specific sites. In addition to The Roaches I'd suggest Birchen and maybe Burbage North.

alooker 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon_87:

lawrencefield roadside bay for group abseil is ideal and burbage south for bouldering. There are places all over - you'd know this if you had enough logbook experience...!
 Ethan Thomas 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon_87:

Get down to Burbage firstly. The far right hand end of stanage looks worth a recce in terms of group use. Though I've always been to keen to get cragging, to have a look. Millersdale Viaduct is a popular abseil sight for centre's around there. But remember ideal abseil sight - anchors preferably above waist level, easy access to top and bottom, clear view of client, no ledges, not on popular route, etc. etc. But home papers generally seem to be designed to 'discuss' topics that can't be assessed practically, or need further detail.

I think people are being a bit harsh in their responses. As long as you know what you're doing, you'll learn about group venues as and when you work in/get to know an area.

Good Luck
 pff 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon_87:
Isnt this so typical of a candidate not having enough experience of logging pre assessment. They get to choose any crag for an abseil and any other location for a bouldering session, and it appears that, not even one location comes to mind. Gods sake, which crags did you logs hours on? Why would you be filling out a worksheet with the names of venues you have only visited and not worked on, thats why you get to choose the venues. It sounds to me like getting others to do thework for you is exactly what youre doing.
Post edited at 10:54
OP Simon_87 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon_87:

Yes a Joby paper.

I was merely asking for a few names of crags that could be suitable, everything else I would do myself.

Thank you @alooker I choose lawrenfield before I saw the comment, looking through the log book and at the pictures etc I wrote out the reasons why.

@pff well maybe my lack of experience will come through, but I treat everything as a learning experience, my assessment will teach me what I am lacking. If I fail or defer then I can work on it.

Unfortunately I am in a job that gives me long hours and it isn't that easy to travel to crags.

@ethan109 The viaduct would that be a viable option on a home paper? It's not a crag but it is an abseil venue? The only reason for not choosing it straight away would be the height, using a crag around 10m high could be more enjoyable for a timid novice.
 pff 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon_87:
My point is, buid up your experience by going out yourself and checking the crags first hand. You seem to be very blase about the assessment, and your preperation likewise. Have you been at a single venue used in a group situation that you said to yourself " that worked well there", or " that was crap for that group, and totally inappropriate" ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...