UKC

Lake District Photo Location Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 12 Aug 2014
Ice Nine /Stuart Holmes has just given away all his secrets in a photography location guide to the Lakes. I've not seen it yet, but from the website photos it looks like its gonna be good. www.fotovue.com
 d508934 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

this looks great - have just tried to purchase but after putting in billing and shipping address there's no 'next' button to then go and put card details in - anyone else getting this or just me?? have tried a couple of browsers now. will try and contact them direct...
 mikehike 12 Aug 2014
In reply to d508934:

Ive just purchased and used the PayPal button, all went through fine.

Cheers for the heads up

mh
 Michael Ryan 13 Aug 2014
In reply to mikehike:

Thanks both.
 CrushUnit 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Michael Ryan:

Ill definitely be putting in an order soon!
In reply to Dan Arkle:

The thumbnail images on the www.fotovue.com website ('click for more info') seem to have a problem. Big warning sign SSL error comes up, plus suggestion of a hacker ...
 d508934 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

yeah I got that too (using chrome). Paypal section did appear later so have ordered (no idea why not there first time, tried refreshing and IE11 also). anyway, great site and great range of books!
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I've always been a big fan of his photos, some really excellent stuff. But surely half the fun lies in finding the locations yourself... Has always been one of my favourite aspects of photography.
 Michael Ryan 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

that should be sorted
 mikehike 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

The Book arrived in the post today.

mh
 Michael Ryan 27 Aug 2014
In reply to mikehike:

Excellent Mike, and thanks.
 The Pylon King 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

What is the point of a book that shows you where to take pictures?

Very odd idea indeed.

Although good for him as a money maker, i'm sure it will sell as a coffee table book and to photographers with no imagination.
In reply to James Rushforth:

> I've always been a big fan of his photos, some really excellent stuff. But surely half the fun lies in finding the locations yourself... Has always been one of my favourite aspects of photography.

Yeah surely thats all of the fun?

Maybe i have just missed the point here.
 Michael Ryan 27 Aug 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

> What is the point of a book that shows you where to take pictures?

> Very odd idea indeed.

What is the point of a book that shows you where to climb and what routes to do?

A very odd idea.

Same principle as any guidebook Pylon King: it saves you time and helps you make the most of your time.

You can do your own research, but we have done it for you if you want it. We document the essential viewpoints and also encourage self-expoloration.

All the best,

Mick
Director of fotoVUE along with Stuart.
http://www.fotovue.com

P.S., Even though I am the author of a bouldering guidebook when I go bouldering these days I prefer self-exploration rather than following a book.
 Michael Ryan 27 Aug 2014
In reply to James Rushforth:

> But surely half the fun lies in finding the locations yourself... Has always been one of my favourite aspects of photography.

Same here, but it's not an either or: many love exploring and finding or rediscovering unique viewpoints, then sometimes it good to be led either by word of mouth, an image, a google search or a guidebook.
 Tall Clare 27 Aug 2014

Sounds like a good idea to me. I was up in Torridon last week and Steve Carter, who takes some fantastic landscape photographs round there, has created a similar guide to the area. I think some of it is about people wanting to have a go at recreating his images.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 27 Aug 2014

Well yes cherry picked select guidebooks are similar i guess but certainly not definitive guidebooks where you have to use your initiative and imagination to explore off the beaten track.

But good luck with the book though, if it brings enjoyment to people and makes you some money then thats all got to be good.

Ive never heard of this sort of book before so that's why i thought it was an odd one.
Post edited at 12:34
 Ice Nine 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I went to Yosemite a few years ago on a photography jolly, I posted some photos in my gallery. I've been there before climbing a couple of times and think i know the valley pretty well. I had a copy of Michael Frye's Photographer's Guide to Yosemite and used it extensively. We were able to plan where to be at what time to make the most of our available time and increase the chances of catching something good. It paid off hugely and my initial scepticism about being guided to photo locations soon disappeared. There is no creativity lost, it's up to you how to take your photo, which direction to point and how far to zoom in or out. Conditions are different every time too.
Photographing the Lake District is not prescriptive, there are featured locations with hints and tips on making the most of certain viewpoints but the over-riding message is to go out and explore for yourselves. Have a read, I dare you!
http://www.fotovue.com/the-lake-district/
 mikehike 27 Aug 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

Its rare I get chance to be in the lakes. Rare for me to have the time to be on a Mountain early or late. Combine this with suitable weather conditions then I have 1 in a (insert big number) chance of it all coming together. At least the book gives me a starting point for when the planets line up.
 Sean Kelly 27 Aug 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...