UKC

more bike thefts...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rallymania 12 Aug 2014
http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9017

Loads of bikes getting stolen again, now i'm going to be a bit controversial here...

if you have several grands worth of bikes perhaps you need to do more to keep them secure than locking them up in your shed? (yes, i wish we lived in a society that didn't need this kind of security, but we don't)

people have been getting bikes stolen from sheds / stairwells for decades, it's not a new crime!

LastBoyScout 12 Aug 2014
In reply to rallymania:

It's no surprise that all our bikes are locked in the garage with multiple motorbike locks and ground anchors.
In reply to rallymania:

I blame Strava.
 felt 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:

I blame Desgrange.
 Fraser 12 Aug 2014
In reply to rallymania:

Judging by the security camera photo in the OPs post, we're looking at the supernatural here. It's clearly Casper the Ghost that stole the bikes!
 balmybaldwin 12 Aug 2014
In reply to rallymania:
There are increasing reports of criminals following people home from trial centres etc and tehn returning later to nick bikes... therefore be very careful when you have a bike on your car to check for unwanted followers, do extra loops etcs to catch them out (and record the number plate if you spot one - they might not get yours, but they may get someone else nearby.

Mine are kept in my house, and I've got a lot of insurance for them. Having said that there are some very good solutions for locking htem in sheds with ground anchors, anchors that require entire shed demolition to remove... but I wouldn't leave my good bikes in a shed unless i didn't have a choice.
Post edited at 13:28
 LastBoyScout 12 Aug 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Friend of mine had his garage raided, despite the security on it, and he's convinced they must have seen him driving home with bikes on the back of the camper van. They got away with 5 bikes.

Then they came back a few months later for the insurance replacements, but he'd beefed up the security on his garage by then. Nearly caught them in the attempt, but they ran off too fast in the dark.

My bikes go in the boot of the car, except on very rare occasions
 gethin_allen 12 Aug 2014
In reply to rallymania:

The sad thing is that no matter how much you lock bikes up, if someone has the time and determination they will probably get the bikes.
I think the best deterrent is multiple levels of security that provide hurdles delaying the thief in vulnerable open spaces.
If a thief can sit in the garden for hours without being noticed slowly picking their way through the security devices they will get the bikes.

I have a friend who keeps 3 bikes with a combined value of ~£4,500 in a shed at the very end of her garden with only the most pathetic little hasp and staple on the door. I told her that she should be a bit more careful but her response was that it was a nice safe area; you can't win with that logic especially as thieves go to the nice areas to steal stuff but they know that there will be good stuff the steal.
 balmybaldwin 12 Aug 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> (In reply to balmybaldwin)
>
> My bikes go in the boot of the car, except on very rare occasions

Mine do when I can, but more often they are on the roof, but I am considering a rear-facing go-pro for journey's home that I could review if i did get any problems
 balmybaldwin 12 Aug 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

The saddest thing is that these bikes when taken, are often located by owners trawling ebay etc, and not the police.

A friend on Sunday had to go and reaquire his bike from an ebay seller, without any police assistance as they were too busy - he gave them 3 days notice of when he had arranged to go and view/buy the bike yet it wasn't seen as important enough...
KevinD 12 Aug 2014
In reply to rallymania:

> people have been getting bikes stolen from sheds / stairwells for decades, it's not a new crime!

They did say they had three locks plus evidently some surveillence kit.
A shed doesnt necessarily mean some thin wood structure with just a padlock on the door. There is a good chance it was as secure as in the house since most people dont really feel comfortable putting ground anchors in the living room. Slightly less chance of hearing it but otherwise can be more secure.
trollman 12 Aug 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

After a week away in wales, drove home to london with mountain bike on towbar rack, fully padlocked up, I parked up outside house after a 5 hour drive, went indoors for no more than a few minutes, went out to unload car, bike gone! It took me a while to think what had happened, had it fallen off on route, stolen at services? Then found cut padlock under the car! How random was that, been away for a week, then have a thief carrying bolt cutters, walk down my road In the few minutes I had got home, or I was followed at some point.
trollman 12 Aug 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

Because I keep a lot of power tools etc in my workshop, (heavy duty shed) I use a battery powered infra red alarm, It hurts my ears if I forget to disarm it quickly, I hope it would be such an unexpected shock to a thief at 2am, they would just do a runner, its so loud you can't work out where iv hid it in the shed. I do have plenty of locks too.
 gethin_allen 12 Aug 2014
In reply to trollman:
That's probably a lot more use than that crap cctv picture they have of the above perp.

I see little point of having silent discrete cameras that produce such poor quality pictures, if the thing was a stills cam that took a burst of frames with a bloody massive flash on it the perp would know they'd been clocked and possibly leg it and if not you'd have something worth showing the cops rather than a grainy pixelated mess

You could also have a speaker on the cam to give a burst of directional white noise just before taking the photos so you can be sure of getting them looking at the camera.
Post edited at 21:05
 Marq 13 Aug 2014
In reply to trollman:

I have some good tools in my garage as well, along with a convenient power point to operate them with! However, I flip the fuse inside the house for the garage power when I'm not working in the garage which you may want to consider if not already done so.

Marq
 bobbyf 13 Aug 2014
In reply to trollman:

I'm looking for a decent battery powered alarm for my shed but the ones I've tried are pretty feeble. What type have you got?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...