UKC

Water in Dartmoor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 12 Aug 2014
I'm planning a wild-camping trip to Dartmoor, this summer. What is the availability of water like at this time of year?

Do you need to filter the water from the streams?

Are the streams marked on the OS maps generally reliable - that is, can you bet everything on them being there or should you expect that there's a high chance a marked stream will be dry?

On a tangent: I'm thinking of buying a Katadyn Vario pump-filter - can anyone comment on its utility? (They're bloody expensive!)
 Toby_W 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

The water is pristine, the radon gas see to that I think there's plenty around and the leats rarely run dry and personally I'd drink most of it without worry, just check for dead sheep further up.

Have fun.

Toby
OP Xharlie 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

Thanks, Toby.

I never bothered to filter the water encountered in the mountains, in Africa, but I was advised to filter all water in the UK unless you can see where it comes out of the ground simply because of the prevalence of livestock in the hills, here - the dead-sheep problem.

Do you think this is paranoid or do you, in fact, walk up stream to the source to check its entire length for contaminants?
 Welsh Kate 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

I'm out in South Wales a lot so tend to use an in-line filter when I'm wildcamping - the place is covered in sheep and sheep poo. Elsewhere I'll use my judgement - I didn't bother in Snowdonia in late May or in the Cairngorms last month.

Toby_W 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

I've drunk water from just downstream from a dead sheep... it did me no harm but I always look a few metres up now just to avoid the ewww factor.

I often swim in Crazywell pool on Dartmoor which is bound to be less clean than some of the sparkling streams and leats and have never had any ill effects.

Like you I've drunk from Streams in Africa and when we cycle toured in Australia, rivers in the rain forests and stuff out of bore holes that smelled of rotten eggs... no ill effects. You just need to be aware of the environment and make a judgement call.

Since doing a few triathlons I've swum in some horrible water with no terrible upsets so am now rather relaxed about drinking water... no doubt this will bite me in the a**e at some point :-O

Cheers & have a great trip.

Toby
 fire_munki 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

Right now the availability is great. Just need to stand outside!
 Wainers44 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Xharlie:
Each to their own, but personally I wouldn't drink the water this time of year up there. Just too many slow moving or stagnant bits and too much livestock there for my liking.

I have therefore avoided any issues but both my sons have suffered spectacular sh*ts issues through drinking untreated water in early, leave alone mid summer.

Your shout, do you feel lucky I suppose!
Post edited at 19:01
In reply to Wainers44:
Learn't that lesson the hard way!
P.s. Thanks for the name and shame there dad!!
Post edited at 19:04
In reply to Xharlie:

I drink happily from many a mountain stream. Dartmoor on the other hand I will always boil or treat. Too many livestock around
 Wainers44 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

Sorry, who is this, have we met....?
 TK52 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

I've been wild camping on Dartmoor. I tend to pop in one of those water cleaning tablets and leave for however long the packet says. Or I boil water on the stove for drinking the next day. There are loads of dead sheep up stream you may not know about and also the stagnant stuff, especially at this time of year. Not pleasant having the sh*ts when you're camping - I'd say not worth the risk for the sake of carrying a few tabs.
 randomsabreur 12 Aug 2014
In reply to TK52:
Given the level of upset my dog has had from various streams up there I'd be wary drinking Dartmoor water. Plenty of sheep, bogs etc. Alternatively walk along with your mouth open and clean rainwater will blow in...
 Bobling 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Xharlie:
Last time I was up there wild camping it was on one of the firing ranges, and the thought occurred to me that all those squaddies must sh*t somewhere.

I boiled my water, though had I had a good filtration system I'd have been happy using that.

Oh god I just used the phrase "wild camping" : (.
Post edited at 21:57
 Wainers44 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Bobling:

A few years back when I was involved with the construction of a military facility on the moor I remember seeing the test results for a spring water sample taken so that the treatment plant could be designed.

The amount of faecial (sorry my spelling is sh*t) matter in this clean spring water was staggering! It must have come close to having a calorific value!!!!!
andyathome 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Wainers44:

> The amount of faecial (sorry - my spelling of sh*t) matter in this clean spring water was staggering!

Sorted that for you.
 Wainers44 13 Aug 2014
In reply to andyathome:

Ta. Brilliant!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...