Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Quitting the day job and going freelance

Only a hill - on 12 Aug 2014
As some of you are aware, I have had two jobs for several years. By day I worked as a sales consultant for the Carphone Warehouse, but my real vocation is writing and I've been a published author since 2012. The two jobs existed in an uneasy equilibrium that never worked quite as well as I would have liked.

About six weeks ago I made the decision to quit the day job and begin a career as a freelance editor and proofreader. This is a profession which will work with my writing rather than against it.

To be honest I have no idea why it took me this long to make the jump, but now that I'm working from home full time (and already have several jobs in the pipeline) I realise it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. I doubt it will be roses all the way, but I'm loving the sense of freedom. It also feels good to be doing work that matters to me and that I'm actually good at.

This is not a "should I go freelance?" post this is "I've gone freelance and am finding my feet."

Anyone else made a similar jump recently? Any hints to share about finding work, managing time, or juggling projects?

Oh and if you have any work that needs editing, give me a shout! My rates are affordable. Here is my new business website: www.pinnacleeditorial.co.uk
... not showing 12 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums