UKC

Pain in lower shin area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sarmarks 12 Aug 2014
Hi, I started running properly about 6 months ago, mainly cross country. I do about 2 or 3 runs a week and have gradually increased the distance to around 6 miles per run. Recently I am experiencing pain in my lower calf/ shins mainly on the insides of my legs. It feels like bruising behind the bone...Is this a common problem? Should I hold off for a while? Or are there any exercises I should be doing?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Sarah.
 dale1968 12 Aug 2014
In reply to sazmaz:

Usual stuff rice brufen stretches, this should give a bit more detailhttp://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints
Ste Brom 12 Aug 2014
In reply to sazmaz:

Medial shin splints or MTSS .

I'm guessing it's tender on a localised area, and feels like the muscle wanting to tear away from the bone?

Stretch the soleus, not the gastroc, and be be careful when stretching it cold.
Had mine for 9 mths now, and its only starting to get ok.
OP sarmarks 13 Aug 2014
In reply to dale1968:

Thanks that's really useful
OP sarmarks 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

Wow 9 months... I hope it's not going to last that long. Yep definite localised painThanks for advice. Hope you're all better soon.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Aug 2014
In reply to sazmaz:

I had that when I did athletics and ended-up having a tibial fascial release op on both legs, which was excruciating and took years really to recover from.

Back right off, have some rest and come back much more slowly. It will be worth it in the long run.
 Mr Fuller 13 Aug 2014
In reply to sazmaz: I've had this a few times and my girlfriend has had it worse than me. There's a few things you can do to really help it and top of the list is to increase the flexibility in your calves and also the front of your legs. Do this with conventional stretching and with foam rolling/massage/golf ball. 'Smashing' the muscle just to the side of your shin bone with a golf ball or your hands will really hurt, but with time it will get better (ie flexility, blood flow, etc increases) and this will massively reduce the pain when running. The muscle might be so tight that it feels like bone. Secondly, stop running for at least two weeks to let the inflammation go down. Ice the affected area.

If, when you return to running, it's not gone, see a physio. It might cost £100 for a couple of appointments but if you enjoy running then it is money well spent. Also, check your shoes and gait. If you are running 'barefoot-style' then your chance of this sort of injury is almost certainly far greater.
Ste Brom 13 Aug 2014
In reply to sazmaz:

Incidentally, one of the few things I found was that off the shelf orthotics seem to help, especially in terms of arch support. Failing that, a spot of lightly applied KT tape wrapped around your arch may help. If I thought for a minute these things were ever connected to shin pain, I would of done physio!
 lizard-16-07 13 Aug 2014
In reply to sazmaz: yep I had pretty bad shin splints (I'm the aforementioned girlfriend!), to the point where it was extremely painful, and i was amazed by what a good physio and lots of stretching can do. I let mine go on for too long without stopping, so I'd stop sooner rather than later. Definitely rest and do lots of stretching - that's the advice the physio gave me, so I didn't need to go the whole hog and have custom made orthotics. New insoles once you're back running with help, as will taking it steady - don't be afraid to run then walk etc, and even if your run might feel very short, getting back into it gently is the way to go. I took an entire month off running, and then my 'rehab run' was typically 2 -2.5 miles, at a very slow pace. I was worried that I'd have lost some running fitness, but that's not been the case and am now happily running 4 times a week on marathon training. Do some swimming or cycling to keep on top of your cardio fitness and get out for some walking - walk what you'd normally run? Find some new routes? Overall, stopping is definitely worth it in the long run! Good luck!

lizard-16-07 13 Aug 2014
In reply to sazmaz:
Ps, this is quite a good website, shows you some useful stretches and videos of how to use a foam roller http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/ankle-achilles-shin-pain
 The New NickB 13 Aug 2014
In reply to sazmaz:

Shin splints, which is actually potentially a few different problems. Ice, stretching, active rest such as a little light jogging on grass.

When you say x-country, do you mean general off road running rather than actual x-country?
OP sarmarks 14 Aug 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Yeah sorry, just off road running is what I meant. Will hold off for now then!
OP sarmarks 14 Aug 2014
In reply to sazmaz:

Thanks for all advice. Really helpful. Am I still ok to climb?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...