UKC

Horses on Lakeland fells

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 12 Aug 2014
I never seem to see people riding Horses on the Fells. I know bugger all about Horses, but would have though galloping over the Dodds or Back Of Skiddaw would be good. Is there some reason that Horse Riding on the fells is not popular?
Removed User 12 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

Because you are not allowed?
J1234 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Are you not? Are they not commons or something? I am surprised.
Removed User 12 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

You're more than welcome to take the old nag up the bridleway of course.
 Carolyn 12 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

I suspect, apart from the tracks, it's actually a bit steep and rough for horses. You do see horses a touch further north, on the edge of the Caldbeck fells, where it's a bit flatter.

But I also know bugger all about horses. However, I have a colleague who knows a fair bit, and knows the back o'Skiddaw, so I'll try and remember to ask her....
 Carolyn 12 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

Mind you, didn't they used to hold horse races along the High Street ridge?
J1234 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

I was just thinking about High Street, but isn`t that a bridleway and horses races would be a special event in any case. I bet it would be ace to gallop a horse over High Street, what fun )
 Rick Graham 12 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

What about the fell ponies living up there?

Top Tip. Don't try to eat your butties in front of them. They get quite aggressive when you do not share.
In reply to SCrossley:
My wife and I quite often ride our horses up High Pike in the Northern Fells, as do a few other folk we know (see photo here (scroll down): http://needlesports.com/catalogue/content.aspx?con_id=3cf15cda-1b7b-4cca-8a... ). In fact the Northern Fells are ideal for riding as they are fairly rounded and grassy plus not very crowded.

Horses are fairly nervous animals, particularly when out of their comfort zone and this is even more so when they are young, which ours are. So we try and pick days when there's no wind but it's not too hot. When they are used to being surrounded by hedges, suddenly being in a wide open space is very different for them. Fell runners, dogs running loose, mountain bikers, paragliders, farmers on quad bikes all make them jumpy so going to quieter areas makes sense as they are often nervous enough already. We have also had a fairly scary time on Askham Fell with a herd of fell ponies charging round and round us like cowboys and indians so we tend to make sure there are none of these around too.

Some people are scared of horses or just don't think they should be there, though we have never had anyone actually say anything, but you can tell from their attitude. However the majority seem delighted to see horses on the fells and are very pleased to chat to us - still, going in the emptier parts of the Lakes makes sense in this respect, and it's also beneficial when trying to park the horse box.

As regards bridleways, there are not so many shown in the high Lakeland Fells, but obviously horses (or at least ponies) were used all over the fells in the days before cars and quadbikes, particularly in the case of the northern fells where there were mines worked by horse power all over the spot, so we don't feel that we are doing anything wrong.

Finally, if you are running, biking or even walking in the fells and see a horse in front of you, it would be a great help to the horse and rider if you could just say something, especially if approaching fast from behind, "Hello, bike coming through etc", that sort of thing, as the horse will be a lot less nervous if it realises you're a person and not a predator - and also slow down or stop if you think you might spook the animal. Having numerous times done an instant 180 degree turn on the spot when a cyclist has appeared silently from the rear at 25mph, I can tell you it's pretty scary! Actually, virtually everyone we meet is really good in this respect but, as always in life, there are a few p*ll*cks!
Post edited at 13:49
 John Ww 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> You're more than welcome to take the old nag up the bridleway of course.

now that's what I call a euphemism!!!

JW

aultguish 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

Nice picture and great advice too.
To this day there is a very lucky Mountain Biker out there, who came whizzing past me whilst I was on my last horse. I felt the horse go tense, looked down to my right and saw my horses leg fully outstretched, right behind the guys head! Now this horse was a 17.2 very powerful showjumper, I don't think the cyclist would've survived.
 abr1966 13 Aug 2014
In reply to aultguish:
Riding horses on the fell tops is a fantastic experience, i haven't had mine up there but been ip on a very powerful Clydesdale once....cantering on the tops is amazing!
Post edited at 19:37
In reply to aultguish:

My great ambition is a Lake District tour over several days/ a week with horses and climbing gear - stopping off to do a route on half a dozen or so crags on the way - would take a bit of organising with grazing etc but I think it would go as they say. And perhaps I could sell the resulting article to both Climber and Horse & Hound!
 Siward 14 Aug 2014

I have a dream (probably is just that) to attempt a continuous Munro, or perhaps Corbett, round accompanied by a few ponies (welsh mountain maybe, or donkeys- a mule train, who knows?) who would carry my baggage for the most part. Obviously they wouldn't make all the tops but would certainly lighten the load.

You can tell I'm at work...
aultguish 14 Aug 2014
In reply to abr1966:

Always wanted to have a go on one of those big beasties. Mind, we had a few workng cobs when I was a kid and I used to ride them bareback up the hill before they dragged the felled trees back down off the hill.....my only memory tho, is falling off and breaking my arm :-/
Used to take the horses to Ainsdale Beach a lot in the past.....now that is awesome )
J1234 14 Aug 2014

Thanks Stepehen thats really interesting and informative. I`m a non rider but we did have a half day from a place at Witherslack which took us over Yewbarrow, and your posting has inspired me to look into it again.

> Some people are scared of horses or just don't think they should be there, though we have never had anyone actually say anything, but you can tell from their attitude.

>
I`m a bit funny around horse riders sometimes. I will talk with anyone at any opportunity but cannot ever remember having much of a chat with a horserider, possibly it is the dominant position a rider is in and perhaps the riders do not speak and look stern because they are nervous and want to get past, so it`s a bit self fulfilling.
aultguish 14 Aug 2014

If you ever fancy putting that into reality, I can make myself available )
 abr1966 14 Aug 2014
In reply to aultguish:
> (In reply to abr1966)
>
> Always wanted to have a go on one of those big beasties. Mind, we had a few workng cobs when I was a kid and I used to ride them bareback up the hill before they dragged the felled trees back down off the hill.....my only memory tho, is falling off and breaking my arm :-/
> Used to take the horses to Ainsdale Beach a lot in the past.....now that is awesome )

We went with a company called 'Cumbrian Heavy Horses' near Broughton in Furnace....i asked how big my horse was and they said 'we stop measuring when they get to 18 hands!' They were really poweful and amazingly fit....we did a full day in the saddle on both days.....first day down to a windswept beach where they galloped flat out and then went in the sea. Next day up on the fells....coming down was quite something having to lean back so far just to stay on, it was literally a case of giving them the rein and letting thwm work out how to get down!
James Jackson 14 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

We're not all nervous! I'm very chatty when I'm out and about on a nag.
J1234 14 Aug 2014
In reply to James Jackson:

> We're not all nervous! I'm very chatty when I'm out and about on a nag.

Well I shall certainly try a little harder with Horse riders
 wercat 14 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

I know someone who had a hand in training Lucius for the Grand National on the fells above Pooley Bridge. I thought he was spinning me a yarn till we went into a pub in Eamont Bridge and met a couple of Gordon Richards jockeys who proceeded to defer to him as some kind of legend.
In reply to aultguish:

Thanks for the offer - it's just a bit of a dream at the moment. Our horses really need to be a few years older and a bit more "bombproof" yet I think, plus I'd need to devote a fair bit of time to planning it all. But one day....!
In reply to Siward:

Not sure about all the Munros, I think even the most footsure highland pony might struggle with the Cuillin Ridge! But this book about walking with a fell pony in the Lake District is a lovely story:
http://www.bookscumbria.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_22...
In reply to SCrossley:

> perhaps the riders do not speak and look stern because they are nervous and want to get past.

Yes - you're probably right there a lot of the time! The climbing equivalent would be trying to carry on a friendly conversation with someone you didn't know who was right in the middle of the crux of a route that was a grade too hard for them!

mbh 14 Aug 2014

...there's lots of this - friendly runners who are busting a gut and think they might die if they utter a reply to a very welcome friendly hail, or cyclists and drivers who think they might crash if they take their eye or hand off the ball for one instant...how often have I hoped, in the guise of all three at times, that my slightly raised eyebrow conveys all the reciprocal cheer that I intend.
 Siward 15 Aug 2014

Might give that a read. In the more rugged country I'm imagining more the ponies being left in the glens, nipping off and bag a peak, then returning to them. Quite attracted by the donkey idea- supposedly quite sure footed beasts...
 liz j 15 Aug 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...